Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine build advice VR Caprice HSV 185i

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Valves will still likely need a grind. Heads will need a shave.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Valves will still likely need a grind. Heads will need a shave.
I wouldn't shave the heads.
If he does pistons to get comp up to 9.5-10.0 range and the head surface is flat, then just an inspection/re-cut of the seats, springs to suit cam, and back on they go. Shouldn't cost too much.

I'll be interested to see how this build goes.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If he does pistons to get comp up to 9.5-10.0 range and the head surface is flat, then just an inspection/re-cut of the seats, springs to suit cam, and back on they go. Shouldn't cost too much.

Last pair of heads I had done were $1000 including springs, plus porting $400 That was a grind and 10 thou. They were V6 heads V8 heads was going to be $1200 plus porting. They originally charged V8 head price but I picked up on it when went to pay. Shave was only $100 a head.
To reco the short block was going to be about $6k. Some 304 parts depending on what you go with are cheaper than Buick but still need to allow for extra parts needed. I don't see any change from $10k just for the engine if not doing the build yourself.
Then you have to be pretty skilled to fit the rear main.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
When you get valve springs don't buy Crow. They have common problems with snapping.

BH78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice

I'm thinking the heads will be cleaned up, shaved if needed to acheive desired compression, valve grind, retainers etc and basic roller rockers.

I'll post up the journey.

Plan for this week is to retint, and regas the AC (fitted a new condensor this weekend). Next week its getting a once over - all oils, filters, brake fluid etc. then a trip to the sunroof doctor.

She'll be nice.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
How did I not see this thread earlier :p

If your upping the compression that far I'd go something more substantial than a 4001/268 etc.

I'd go at least a Crane 276 or a 284, if you want a subtle idle the 276 is a better choice than the 284 though, the 284 has a bit more lump to it. The 276 is a really good low down torquey cam if thats what your after.

The Crow 4503 will also work really well with that range of compression and is well suited to the factory intake manifold with the reverse split duration.

Stock converter will be fine on a 268/4001 etc but it never hurts to stall it, but do at least 2500 rpm with those cams or 3000RPM with a 284/4503.

I had my heads shaved 40 thou which brought me to around 9.1-9.2 so if your hoping for 9.5-10 you'll need flat top pistons as well.

Even with just a head shave at 40 thou my 4503 really came alive and pulled like a freight train with a 2500RPM converter, however a 3000 would have been even better.

I've had a 268 before and trust me it's a very underwealming cam, you can feel a tiny bit of mid range difference but it sounds like a stock cam and drives like a stock cam, it's really not worth all the work imo for a few kw gain.

Also bear in mind with a head shave, if your running the stock intake manifold you'll need to get that machined too as the bolt holes won't line up anymore. I was lucky with my Edelbrock manifold as the fitment was reasonably loose so it still lined up ok, but I've heard anything over 30 thou and the stock manifold will have issues as the tollerances/fitment is a lot tighter.

Personally I'd go as Deuce said, if your giving the engine a freshen up I'd do flat top pistons which will get you roughly where you want to be anyway.

I only got my heads shaved as far as I did because I want to be around 11-11.5 by the time my new engine is zero decked and flat topped.

If your wanting that stockish sound, with a bit more pep and low down-mid range grunt the 276 would absolutely be my choice, it ticks all the boxes you want. I'm actually doing a freshen up for a mates VQ caprice at the moment wanting the same as you, a subtle car that sounds like it could have been a factory option that pulls a lot harder than stock. I'm doing a Comp Cam 276 grind on that (because Comp has a far better reputation than Crane these days).

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
When you get valve springs don't buy Crow. They have common problems with snapping.
I personally use the Blueracer LT1 valve springs which are super cheap on ebay but bulletproof for anything under .500 thou lift which most 304 cams are until you start getting wild.

MJ1B7NX.png

Never had a failure on any of the engines I've put them in.

That being said, I've never upgraded the valve springs on 268's or 4001's etc.....the lift and duration is such a small gain over stock I've never justified it and I've never had any issues.

Last edited:

BH78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Caprice
I personally use the Blueracer LT1 valve springs which are super cheap on ebay but bulletproof for anything under .500 thou lift which most 304 cams are until you start getting wild.

MJ1B7NX.png

Never had a failure on any of the engines I've put them in.

That being said, I've never upgraded the valve springs on 268's or 4001's etc.....the lift and duration is such a small gain over stock I've never justified it and I've never had any issues.
Thanks mate, great advice.

Crow just came back with a recomendation for a 4503 as well. Will up the stall.

Flat tops were always part of the plan - seems the good value ones are either Mace or Hypatech.

Heads will get the love necessary to acheive my goals.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Thanks mate, great advice.

Crow just came back with a recomendation for a 4503 as well. Will up the stall.

Flat tops were always part of the plan - seems the good value ones are either Mace or Hypatech.

Heads will get the love necessary to acheive my goals.
No worries mate, the 4503 is a good all rounder. But yeah 2800-3000 stall minimum for that cam or it will be very doughy on the street. My 2500 was oooook with the 4503 but could have been better.

Can highly recommend a Roadblaster converter if your looking for one, really well priced and great to deal with.

You can also tune a lot of the lumpyness out of it too and make it a bit more subtle at idle.