Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine recondition

Snowfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
Once I have a few things sorted, like my brake master cylinder, I'll be reconditioning my RB30 as funds now permit (yippee :D ). I have'nt got a quote for this yet, and I do trust my mechanic, but how much do you guys think I should be paying for this ? Any input appreciated !

M

madmitch

A recon RB30 engine is about $2000 for a turbo engine and less for non turbo at HM/GEM engines but have a good look around

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
a recon should only be around 1200 bucks exchange. plus installation.

RB20DETVL

Reaction score
Website
home.iprimus.com.au
Members Ride
83 VH SL/E soon to be 5L
Hmmm for $2500ish i rekon i could comfortably build a fairly strong RB30ET, including forgies. I don see why people dont have a go at doing reco's themselves. All you need is a manual for the car and some basic tools and your in with a good chance if you go from the manual and research it a little bit.

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Agreed there. If you have half a clue and a manual then it's pretty easy. It's also bloody rewarding and you learn alot of vital stuff.

RB20DETVL

Reaction score
Website
home.iprimus.com.au
Members Ride
83 VH SL/E soon to be 5L
Thats it, why pay 1500-2000 to have the engine recoed to standard specs+ a 30thou overbore which i typical for most reco places, when you can work it even more and get better results for teh same price, if not less

RB20DETVL

Reaction score
Website
home.iprimus.com.au
Members Ride
83 VH SL/E soon to be 5L
Sorry for bring up something totally unrelated to the topic but... jetspin_vl i heard that the RB20 VL's used 4.11:1 centres.. is it hard to find a 4.11:1 LSD centre?

Cheers Phill

M

madmitch

I recon my owne i got the head O-ringed ported biger turbo inlet was ported got a stage 2 cam i put it together at home new i just put it in last weekend

RB20DETVL

Reaction score
Website
home.iprimus.com.au
Members Ride
83 VH SL/E soon to be 5L
yeh its a much more cost effective way, and id only pay to have it done if i didnt have the time to do it.