Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Undertray

Panzer23

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS Liftback 3.6
Hi everyone, I have a 2018 RS 3.6 sedan, purchased new and always serviced by the dealer , I have lately noticed that the car does not have an undertray beneath the engine, do other owners have an undertary or was the car never fitted with an undertay from the factory?

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
My 2019 Regal GS with the 3.6L has no engine underbody tray/splash shield either. In my market, all of the 2.0T equipped variants do have one.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Does it look like something is supposed to be there? Looking on Insignia forums, I've found that some of them do and some of them don't, depending on the engine...

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
Does it look like something is supposed to be there? Looking on Insignia forums, I've found that some of them do and some of them don't, depending on the engine...
Exactly right, it just depends on the engine whether the skid plate is there or not. The front subframe is identical across all Insignia/Commodore/Regal. So yes, the provisions exist to mount a skid and anyone could purchase the four clip on U-nuts, bolts, and the skid plate itself.

I believe the clearance between the engine and the skid is what determines whether the car will have one or not. The oil filter on the 3.6 is larger and sits lower than the filter on the 2.0T. Because of the reduced clearance, I would assume GM opted to simply omit the skid plate altogether instead of creating multiple unique plates. Possibly under extreme circumstances, it is possible for the engine/filter to contact the skid.

That being said, sure does make oil changes a lot easier without having to mess around with removing a skid plate.