Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 extractors?

v8commy

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vk calais 5.0
im gonna run a crane 286,anti pump lifters,bosch 910 pump, blue tops, pod filter, motorvator y piece,catback sytem aww and a 25thou head shave with a greenfoam tune so im guessing ill need aftermarket extractors of some sort

Vr5speedv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr exec 5.0L 5speed
I'll be testing this out shortly (with my brand new GTECH Pro SS :) ) its got the iron headers so might be a gain compared to the vn style.

On a stock 304 you will go backwards with pacemakers compared to the VN/HSV tube headers (came stock on all VN's and all the VN-VS HSV's), with a cam with a fair bit of overlap then you will be better off with pacemakers

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Look forward to the results!:). I tested the VN headers vs the casties and there wasn't much in it, (maybe) a slight gain on the VN headers but nothing really measurable). I was talking to a guy that owns a dyno once and he reckons you can pick up +5rwkw in some areas of the power curve with pacemakers sometimes

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I do Hurricanes that fit the EFI heads in VB-VK for $675.

Vr5speedv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr exec 5.0L 5speed
Not too concerned if it's not any quicker (mainly doing it for the sound), but will be a bit upset if it's slower!!

Look forward to the results!:). I tested the VN headers vs the casties and there wasn't much in it, (maybe) a slight gain on the VN headers but nothing really measurable). I was talking to a guy that owns a dyno once and he reckons you can pick up +5rwkw in some areas of the power curve with pacemakers sometimes

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The sound is much better with pacemakers which is good for me since I don't run any insulation. But all the quick times with stock motors have been done on the stock VN header so that defiantly says something too. I would never buy them new at the price they are for a stock or near stock car. Second hand for the sound only sure :). I expect with large cams that need a bit of suction that's when they would become worth having

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The problem with extractors is the design, the collectors are the wrong sizing for stock engines. People are blinded by the product and expect the same performance as seen on heavily modified engines.

They do work, but not to their full capacity on a stock engine.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
speaking of collector sizes, i had to buy some new pacemakers for my vs 5.0L (old ones were falling apart) now the normal 1 5/8 primary size pipes had a 2 1/2 inch flanged collector and the option of a same dia Y piece.

but the pipes with the bigger 1 3/4 primaries had smaller 2 1/4 unflanged collectors? whats the go there i thought it would be the other way round?