Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fan continues after engine is off

NikkiR

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB VXR sport Hatch
I own 2019 ZB VXR sport hatch commodore v6.
Recently did a 340km trip and now I notice when engine is turned off fan continues for a minute or so!, also the auto stop/start is not kicking in??

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
mine does that every now and then on hot days, it is cooling something.

the start stop is conditional on many things so it does not always kick in.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
Common failure of thermostat, Ac will stop working . Ring your dealer and get it done under warranty.
Looks like ours has failed too. I think the car knows it's being sold tomorrow. Hoepfully they'll be happy to have some warranty work to do on it (I'm selling to an ex-Holden dealer!).

JohnieB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS
My 2018 rs had same issue code po128. Thermostat replaced and all is well. (Fan was staying on for 2 mins, Stop/Start stopped working at all and Air con seemed to also stop been cold or hot. Didn't get mine done under warranty through, I bought second hand and its just ticked over the 5 year old mark.

Peter Grant

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Z Series sedan
Does anyone on this thread know if it’s ok to drive the car until I can get it fixed?

me_like_fuelBurners

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS V6
I had the same thing happen.
Keep an eye on your Coolant Temp Gauge on the instrument cluster. If you notice the fan is running when you turn the car off, most likely the temp gauge will read zero even though your engine is clearly warm. If this is the case then you need to get a new thermostat.

The car is fine to drive, but please get it fixed as soon as you can. The fan is kept running as a safety feature due to the fact that the car [without temp data] assumes the engine needs to be cooled (as overheating engine = big problem). If you were driving in the middle of summer in heavy traffic the fan do the same thing.

ps. The start stop not kicking in is most likely due to your battery not holding enough charge due to its age. Trust me this is a good thing as the start stop feature is a gimmick that kills starter motors and is annoying as hell. New battery = $600-$800 in these things and the reason its so expensive is due to the requirements of the Start stop feature so as long as the car starts without trouble DO NOT CHANGE THE BATTERY :cool: :)

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
ps. The start stop not kicking in is most likely due to your battery not holding enough charge due to its age. Trust me this is a good thing as the start stop feature is a gimmick that kills starter motors and is annoying as hell. New battery = $600-$800 in these things and the reason its so expensive is due to the requirements of the Start stop feature so as long as the car starts without trouble DO NOT CHANGE THE BATTERY

the start stop system not kicking in for the op was more than likely due to the thermostat issue.
there are many conditions that will disable start stop with abnormal engine temps being one of them.

some of the conditions that will cause it to not operate...
• The minimum vehicle speed between Auto Stop events has not been reached

• The engine or transmission has not warmed up enough

• The outside air temperature is not in the required operating range

• The vehicle’s air conditioning or heat settings require the engine running to cool/heat the cabin

• The transmission is shifted out of DRIVE (Exception: Some vehicles will allow an Auto Stop to continue when shifted into PARK)

• The vehicle’s battery charge is low

• The vehicle’s battery has recently been disconnected

• The Auto Stop has lasted longer than the maximum allowed time

• The vehicle’s hood is open

• You press the accelerator pedal

• Certain Driver Modes may block Stop/Start to maintain the right performance for the mode (Example: Tow/Haul, Crawl, Track modes, if your vehicle has those modes)

• You disable the feature (if your vehicle has a Stop/Start disable switch)

• The vehicle is on a steep hill or slope

• The driver door has been opened or driver seat belt has been unbuckled

• Other reasons

Last edited:

samatear

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 ZB Commodore RS
My 2018 rs had same issue code po128. Thermostat replaced and all is well. (Fan was staying on for 2 mins, Stop/Start stopped working at all and Air con seemed to also stop been cold or hot. Didn't get mine done under warranty through, I bought second hand and its just ticked over the 5 year old mark.
How much did it cost you?