Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fault code P129D, causing remote start problem

lowrida56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5ltr
My VF Calais is displaying fault code P129D-00 "fuel pump driver control module Ignition on / start switch switch voltage low.

The remote start does not work, If I clear this code and then turn the car off without starting it, it will allow the car to crank for a second via remote start,, but then stops cranking before the car starts. I'm guessing this is because the code gets thrown again.

I'm thinking it may be the battery dropping below a certain voltage while cranking, I've tested the battery and it comes back at 80%. Its cranks over / starts perfectly fine when using the start button on the dash.

Is there any thing else I can check? I don't want to replace the battery just to be able to use remote start.

Attachments

• Resized_20240302_095650.jpeg
    Resized_20240302_095650.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 28

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
fault codes will stop remote start, its a built in safety function so it does not really matter what the fault is the remote start function will be disabled if a code is present.

you could try the battery but you may need to look at what is causing that error, dont focus on the remote start not working.
if the battery is 5+ years old i would change it but that is just what i do with batteries regardless of their condition, i treat them as a service item and swap them at 5 years.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Ignore remote start issue and diagnose the code will lead to better outcomes :p

A very quick google shows the code is manufacturer specific. For GM is decodes to:

DTC P129D: Fuel Pump Driver Control Module Ignition On/Start Switch Circuit Low Voltage

Meaning: The Fuel Pump Power Control Module monitors the ignition voltage circuit to determine if the voltage is within the normal operating range. The Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be set when the Fuel Pump Power Control Module ignition switch circuit voltage is less than a calibrated value for 1 s.

Potential causes:
  • Faulty Fuel Pump Power Control Module
  • Fuel Pump Power Control Module harness is open or shorted
  • Fuel Pump Power Control Module circuit poor electrical connection

To me what stands out is the last bullet point as VF’s have a known defect with the fuel pump connector which failed. Should be a statutory warranty claim as such.

a3a3abd7-0ce1-48f0-be6a-ad55a62d3fee-jpeg.247381

pick from https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vf-fuel-pump-control-module.293401/

So I’d start by talking to the dealer who should check and correct the fuel pump connector gratis under your statutory warranty rights of as a gesture of good will, however they want to categorise it (doing the simple check is a PITA because of its location and the lack of fuel pump access hatch under the rear seat).

lowrida56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5ltr
Ignore remote start issue and diagnose the code will lead to better outcomes :p

A very quick google shows the code is manufacturer specific. For GM is decodes to:

DTC P129D: Fuel Pump Driver Control Module Ignition On/Start Switch Circuit Low Voltage

Meaning: The Fuel Pump Power Control Module monitors the ignition voltage circuit to determine if the voltage is within the normal operating range. The Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be set when the Fuel Pump Power Control Module ignition switch circuit voltage is less than a calibrated value for 1 s.

Potential causes:
  • Faulty Fuel Pump Power Control Module
  • Fuel Pump Power Control Module harness is open or shorted
  • Fuel Pump Power Control Module circuit poor electrical connection

To me what stands out is the last bullet point as VF’s have a known defect with the fuel pump connector which failed. Should be a statutory warranty claim as such.

a3a3abd7-0ce1-48f0-be6a-ad55a62d3fee-jpeg.247381

pick from https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vf-fuel-pump-control-module.293401/

So I’d start by talking to the dealer who should check and correct the fuel pump connector gratis under your statutory warranty rights of as a gesture of good will, however they want to categorise it (doing the simple check is a PITA because of its location and the lack of fuel pump access hatch under the rear seat).
Ok thanks for info, ill give holden a shot. Not sure what they'll say as I've just purchased the car, a 2013 model with 140,000km.

All of the service history is stamped by holden though, worth a shot.

Its also a wagon, is the fuel pump access any easier on a wagon?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok thanks for info, ill give holden a shot. Not sure what they'll say as I've just purchased the car, a 2013 model with 140,000km.
Just to be explicit, if you bought your car from a car dealer, they have the ACCC statutory warranty obligations in law (and the length of this statutory warranty is what is considered reasonable by the average comsumer). You also get the benifit of the legistlated used car statutory warranty (which is usually available for cars <10 years old and travelled < 160,000 kms and is for 3 months or 5000kms after purchase). Just note the your ACCC rights and used car warranty are not exclusive as both apply. Meanwhile Holden has the liability for any remamining voluntary (factory) warranty as well as the ACCC statutory warranty.

But if you bought the car privately, you dont get ACCC or used car statutory warranty protection thus you only get any remaining voluntary (factory) warranty, if any. Possibly you're SOL with expecting Holden to play nice :confused:

So for me there are a few questions: (1) did you buy it privately or through a car dealer? (2) if you bought it through a car dealer when was the car first registered by the first buyer, (3) if you bought it through a car dealer when was that and how many kms have you travelled since you got the car?

If you did buy it from a used car dealer and the car's 1st registration was April 2014 or later, then you are under the 10 years old limit and kms limit so you not only have ACCC protection but also have the used car warranty protection. If that's the case, my first port of call would be the selling dealer and i'd contact them and document this fault in writing ASAP (since time is critical). Then it'd be worth contacting Holden if your selling dealer is playing by the rules...

Whatever the case, it can be a PITA getting companies to follow the law. If thats the case you could contact the consumer group in your state,

After all, getting to the fuel pump connector (in a sedan) requires the tank to drop which aint cheap since exhaust and drive shaft and rear cradle also need to come out (at a pull the finger out guess of circa $1k remove and replace?)...

I dont know about accessing the fuel pump in a wagon as don't have one and haven't looked at the workshop manual for the details.

A link to a PDF of the VF workshop manual can be found in post#9 of this thread.

lowrida56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5ltr
It was bought privately, so no warranty.

In that case I'll look into getting to the connector, if the tank needs dropping ill just cut a hole and then plate it up when I'm done. I'm sure it won't be the last time the sender will need accessing

lowrida56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5ltr
I cut an access hole under the seat to get to the fuel pump, the connection looks good. It had no burnt pins like the other picture in this thread.

I'm thinking its the battery causing the code, the voltage drops to 9.8v on startup.

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
doing the simple check is a PITA because of its location and the lack of fuel pump access hatch under the rear seat).
That's so blatantly stupid not having a floor plate over the fuel sender requiring the tank to be lowered or removed. Even Ford managed to provide a boot access plate back in the EA Falcon.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's so blatantly stupid not having a floor plate over the fuel sender requiring the tank to be lowered or removed. Even Ford managed to provide a boot access plate back in the EA Falcon.
It’s been mentioned (in other threads) that the access plate was removed to meet the more stringent USA crash tests. So I guess Holden was too cheap to have another press die that could punch a hole on the panel stamped for our Aussie cars and thus give us what is useful from a planned maintenance perspective :rolleyes:

Its probably why Holden didn’t document fuel filter replacement schedule because it would have highlighted the idiotic costs associated with doing it without an access plate under the rear seat :rolleyes:

When it’s time I need to replace my fuel pump/fuel filter, I’ll be making an access plate under the seat and if the purists turn in their grave because it’s no longer “factory”, fcuk ’em, I’ll still sleep well at night :p:p:p

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I cut an access hole under the seat to get to the fuel pump, the connection looks good. It had no burnt pins like the other picture in this thread.

I'm thinking its the battery causing the code, the voltage drops to 9.8v on startup.
9.8V on an old car isn’t too bad during crank but on a modern car the computer modules can be rather finicky when it comes to low voltage and they can cause some oddities :oops: Usually in such low voltage cases you get a bunch of DTC’s from what people have posted :eek:

In any case it’s easy enough to do a load test on your battery and determine if it’s serviceable, just charge it before the test ;)

Regardless, if the battery is still the original one, on one of the last VF2’s, it may be 7 old, even older if the car is earlier variant, so it’s probably getting into retirement age if not already in the old age home :p