Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

FE2 suspension

greenvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice SII
i bought some second hand springs from just commodores at thebarton for the rear and he said that they wont be too low. I looked up the part number which is hrl-26sl and it says on the product catalogue that these springs are for cars with fe2 suspension. What is fe2 suspension and wht will it mean if it fit thesesprings to my car.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
FE2 is the sports suspension package that Holden fitted, this was standard on Police cars. It comprises of lower springs (about 1" I think), and thicker swaybars. If you have low springs in the front it would be OK, if they are standard, it will sit slightly lower at the rear, like you have 2 people in the back.

greenvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice SII
but the springs i purchased are for a car that already has fe2 and mine didnt't come out with fe2 suspension so does that mean that my car would be even lower when these springs are in place

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Thats what I said, your car will sit lower at the rear because you have standards in. The FE2 suspension is lower all round. You should try to get the FE2 front springs and fit them as well.

greenvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice SII
i think these springs are meant to make a car with fe2 suspension even lower which is what im trying to get at. would i need shorter shocks?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You only need shortened shocks to hold your rear springs in when you jack the car up. They can move out of their seats with standard length shocks.

Scottie_116

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
acctually even when you lower a car you may need to replace shocks it.s not about holding springs in it's about the travel of the shock absorber. If it is a standard shock absorber then it will run out of travel and not do it's job same happens when you lift a car.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
acctually even when you lower a car you may need to replace shocks it.s not about holding springs in it's about the travel of the shock absorber. If it is a standard shock absorber then it will run out of travel and not do it's job same happens when you lift a car.

No it won't because the car will bottom out before the shockie does. A standard shock will compress further than the suspension will so even if you put on super super ridiculous low springs the standard shock will still fit. The shortened shock is used to trap the springs.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
If your going lower you car, its best to get everything done properly, springs all round, shocks all round, panhard rod (if required) and other bit's and pieces, this way you will feel the better handling (obviously its not going to be a sports car), will look better (car will be level) and its not a defective or dangerous.