Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting of V6 extractors

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Just wondering when it come to buying extractors for the V6 ecotech are they available like the original exhaust manifolds so its just a matter of removing the originals and bolting up the extractors or is extra cutting and welding required.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Hey Neddy ,it'll depend on what type of extractor you , get some will bolt straight up , and some may require a bit of surgery to fit. I fitted Coby headers to my VX some years back , and they did require some modifications to fit , in a extra length of pipe with a flange welded on to fit onto the cat back system .

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I do the Wildcat extractors for the ecotecs that have a slip join that requires no welding. Still needs the front bit cut off the engine pipes though, but they all do. The Wildcats just need clamping, not fabrication or welding.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Also you may need un bolt the steering rack to move it back slightly and un bolt the drivers side engine mount for more clearance.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Also you may need un bolt the steering rack to move it back slightly and un bolt the drivers side engine mount for more clearance.

No "may" about it. The rack has to be unbolted and moved to right as far as it can go. The steering shaft has to be undone and moved up onto the rail out of the way.

Never had to touch the engine mounts.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I had pacemakers in a VR that needed the engine jacked slightly to clear, as well as moving the rack.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The only engine that I have ever had to jack when fitting extractors is a V8 in a VB-VL. Everything else in a Commodore just needed to move the rack over enough.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
If you go for those Wildcats mentioned above you might have a wait. I'm still waiting after four weeks !

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If you go for those Wildcats mentioned above you might have a wait. I'm still waiting after four weeks !

They were getting made, they have done a run and have quite a few in stock now.