Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Front wheel bearings and CV joints maintenance.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My Crewman has just ticked over 150Km, and I am concerned about mechanical preventative maintenance, rather than the usual oil and fluid maintenance.
By the book, should have done the plugs ages ago, but my regular mechanic asked if the fuel consumption was still good, started easily, ran well, no missing,........ if no problems, don't *** with it and leave it until something is not right. This could be the same situation.

No problems ( that I know of ) like rumbles, clicks and whines, but how do I check the bearings and CV joints ?
Seen all the relevant AWD videos, but I am past the DIY challenges stage.

Putting all 4 wheels up on wheel stands and selecting 'D' while crawling around listening and looking does not seem to be a good idea.
Take it to a 4x4 mechanic and ask them to dismantle and inspect, (that is if they know what they are doing ) Hmm, show me the money.
Wait until something breaks or collapses ?
Trade it on a Bitsashitty and get a $1,000 gift card ?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Wasting your time worrying about those parts in my experience.
The rear shafts and cvs on my VE have lasted 300,000km and still fine. When you hear noise from any bearing or joint is typically time to replace.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
My Crewman has just ticked over 150Km, and I am concerned about mechanical preventative maintenance, rather than the usual oil and fluid maintenance.
By the book, should have done the plugs ages ago, but my regular mechanic asked if the fuel consumption was still good, started easily, ran well, no missing,........ if no problems, don't *** with it and leave it until something is not right. This could be the same situation.

No problems ( that I know of ) like rumbles, clicks and whines, but how do I check the bearings and CV joints ?
Seen all the relevant AWD videos, but I am past the DIY challenges stage.

Putting all 4 wheels up on wheel stands and selecting 'D' while crawling around listening and looking does not seem to be a good idea.
Take it to a 4x4 mechanic and ask them to dismantle and inspect, (that is if they know what they are doing ) Hmm, show me the money.
Wait until something breaks or collapses ?
Trade it on a Bitsashitty and get a $1,000 gift card ?
Wash your god damn mouth out with that trade in nonsense!

I’d only sort those when they break. What I would suggest is to buy the hubs for spares ready and maybe a set of good CV’s ready. Then when it happens, swap them over and redo the old ones as spares.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Thanks for the sanity check.
I had a panic attack this morning when I put the key in it and saw 150,010km, and then remembered that it is May '05 build ....... 18 years old :eek:
Only 12 more years to go until it catches my de-parted, scrapped HJ wagon.

Why do I buy cars that are not run of the mill with easily obtained spare and used parts.
So, time to start looking for a few more spare parts to put in the shed ?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Don't wait till the plugs **** out to change them. Plugs behave like a resistor in an electric circuit, as the plug wears out the gap increases, this make the plugs harder to fire so they draw more current, then as it gets marginal the plugs will start to misfire more and more. All of this puts more strain on the electrical components associated with the ignition system.

Not much you can do with a CV or with sealed wheel bearings.

If you are real keen you can re-grease CV's but if it's already got a bit of wear it's not going to change anything.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Complete CV drive shafts are also quite cheap to buy new. Have a look at prices online for a protex shaft to suit. Usually half the price the usual parts stores want to charge over the counter!!!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I wouldn't buy anything Protex. They are cheap. I had problems with Protex TREs that didn't fit as well as factory ones.
In terms of drive shafts I'd try and source some low km SH units as the AM stuff is not even close on quality as OEM.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Been looking at Ebay advertised stuff ............ not as expensive or rare as I thought they may be. But quality ?
Going to have to do some internetting, and asking at what remains of the local Holden servicing centre..

VZ front AWD bearings and hubs .......... same as RWD ?
Surely not. Has to be a catch somewhere in the parts catalogues. Too simple.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I wouldn't buy anything Protex. They are cheap. I had problems with Protex TREs that didn't fit as well as factory ones.
In terms of drive shafts I'd try and source some low km SH units as the AM stuff is not even close on quality as OEM.
Fingers crossed their shafts are better than their TRE'S. Most interestingly to me was that I noticed their shaft has about 3 part numbers on it and those numbers match the numbers from Most of the other shops brands. So my bet is it's a case of same shaft different box in most places you go. Both online and shop front.
Still, moral of the story is DONT go replacing parts at half their normal lifespan just because it seemed like a good idea in the shower one night.
I doubt front and rear hubs are the same.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was having a discussion with a place in Town who balance and repair shafts. They said to me nothing is as good as OEM. They sell better quality than Protex yet he said the gear they sell is not as good as factory.

Reactions: Lex