Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fussy bastards, dealing with water spots. Filters on the hose?

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Hi all,
For the fussy ones out there, how can I not have any water spots after washing? I generally don't like to touch the car with a shammy and wash that frequently that I can get away washing it perfect hands free.

Have tried the leaf blower & compressed air (never again). Then I got thinking perhaps it's the impurities in the town water that show up as water spots. We have a rain water tank we never use, so was thinking of putting a good filter on it and use that to rinse.

Any input?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I gave up chamois years ago and now use old bath towels for the drying, and if you don't have any, the local op shops (heaps of them up here)
will usually sell you a shirtload of them for $20
Put them in the washing machine after each car wash.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I bought an RO filter years ago. Cost under $100 and the water leaves paint spotless without needing to be dried. I quite often de-dust or remove spots with a watering can and RO water mixed with about 5% tap. Excellent for the washer also.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Like VS 5.0 said, use a mircofibre drying towel.

I use a waffle weave style but there are other types available as well.

If you are washing it in the sun and you wanted a great finish then grab a bottle of quick detailer, there are many good brands then after you've dried the car spray it on and wipe off with a microfibre cloth as you go.

Using a PH neutral car shampoo will help as will washing the car under cover or in the shade.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
Something like this? Has no additives from what I can tell. Throughput is a little low at 190L/day. Guessing I'd use 40 litres for the final rinse?

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
That would work, but they can probably be had for a fraction cheaper. Try searching aquarium RO filters also. You really only need a sediment filter and RO membrane, though most would include post membrane carbon and possibly a de-ionising filter.
Takes me 2 watering cans for a rinse. I keep intending to buy a backpack sprayer to save some water and put some pressure behind it.
I might add when properly washing the car, its rinsed with the hose and microfibred off. RO water is more for touchups, bird **** and washer fluid.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Hi all,
For the fussy ones out there, how can I not have any water spots after washing? I generally don't like to touch the car with a shammy and wash that frequently that I can get away washing it perfect hands free.

Have tried the leaf blower & compressed air (never again). Then I got thinking perhaps it's the impurities in the town water that show up as water spots. We have a rain water tank we never use, so was thinking of putting a good filter on it and use that to rinse.

Any input?

I've been washing our cars with rainwater since I installed a 5000 litre rainwater tank in 2006.
I have a basic 250mm 5 micron dirt and sediment in line water filter between the pump and the tap.
I haven't used a chamois on any of our cars since I noticed the rainwater does not leave water spotting like town water does.
My choice of car wash is Armour All, but not their 'wash and wax' variant.