Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Halo 11 “park brake” is earthed but still won’t let me access settings

Timingrunningman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE
Hi all,
I’m putting in a halo 11 screen made by Alpine into my Holden, the “park brake” is earthed however it still does not allow me to access settings? Is the screen smart and knows when the switch (park brake) goes on and off?
Im stuck !

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Such lockouts are put on such systems for a good reasonl to avoid driver distractions. And as smart infotainment devices get actually smarter, they connect to canbus and have access to all sorts of vehicle status information. As such, they know whether the vehicle is in nuetral or park, whether the handbrake is on or off, etc, etc and thus they can take appropriate action to comply with law.... Whether the Halo 11 has such smarts, read the manual as it will give you hints.

If Halo 11 has such smarts, usually having a casnbus connection is a great hint, then those old style earthing a wire tricks will probably no longer work.

In any case, is sending SMS's not enough of a challenge while driving that you want to watch movies while avoiding your legal obligation as a driver?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Earthing the headunit, That won’t work. There is a module you can get that tricks the headunit. That requires power.
It should be wired how the headunit install shows.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I send messages while driving. I say”Hey Siri. Send a message to Mrs Manchu” and she says “ok. What do you want to say?” And without touching anything I dictate the message “Make my dinner and iron my shirt” and Siri sends it. Then Siri reads the message that I receive in response. Siri: “Mrs Manchu says, “Go fk yourself””
It’s easier than talking to someone in the car. All via the Carplay headunit.

Last edited:

Timingrunningman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE
Thanks Sky and Fu
I ended up connecting it to the normal park brake, all legal

MAYBEN

Eagle Rescue Squad Co. 1
Reaction score
Members Ride
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT
Thanks Sky and Fu
I ended up connecting it to the normal park brake, all legal
do you have any photos of your installation? I'm across the pond and will be ordering the ILX-F509, but would love to see how the ILX-F511 looks in the VE. Thanks!