Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headlights Staying On?

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem with the VY before:

I drive with lights on "Auto" all the time (yes i know i'm lazy). However a few times recently i've gotten to a carpark (underground) or parked inside a building in the day, but due to the dark the lights come on. When i park and then get out of my vehicle and lock it (i press the button twice to deadlock) the lights dont turn off. They have a period of 30 seconds where they should turn off if the car isn't locked and the keys are out, fairly sure that works. But none the less, i've got out and locked my car within probably 15 seconds and the lights have stayed on! First time i saw it was in Broadmeadows and i thought i just hadn't locked the car! Which would have been stupid, but then when it happened the second time i double checked and made sure the car was locked... it was! :S

Anyone had this problem? If so, how was it fixed? ECU Re-flashing by a Tech 2? Sticky relay?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
On my WK Caprice I can manually adjust at what time duration I want the lights to stay on. I set it to two minutes. Have a look in your manual to see if you can find it. It should be in there. I know a mates VZ Equip has the same options.

If you get stuck, PM me and I will have a look back in my manual how to do it. From memory if you hold the up/down buttons down (at the speed limited console) right after you turn the ignition key the option menu should appear.

Maybe if you do have the option, you can reset your Auto lights to default and it may fix the issue.

Junny

purrrrrr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo + shitty painted vp
does it turn off after abit? if not. press unlock before u lock then it should turn off when u press lock.

but it should turn off by itsself.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Mine stay on after the car is locked for set amount of time from when you either turn off or lock (can't remember)

I always get told I have left my lights on as I walk away from the car, so I set it to a shorter delay. Got tired of explaining myself to everyone.....

HeadSwitch

what he said.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Equipe
I always get told I have left my lights on as I walk away from the car, so I set it to a shorter delay. Got tired of explaining myself to everyone.....

I had to do that for the first time the other week. Someone was walking past my car while i was still sitting in it with the engine off say my lights were on. He probably didn't realise that I could easily tell due to the fact my dash was still lit up.

When you turn the ignition on, just keep an eye on the display on the dash. When it says push up or down press one of them and go through the options. There's a couple of options for the headlights like approach delay etc. All of the options are explained in the manual.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem with the VY before:

I drive with lights on "Auto" all the time (yes i know i'm lazy). However a few times recently i've gotten to a carpark (underground) or parked inside a building in the day, but due to the dark the lights come on. When i park and then get out of my vehicle and lock it (i press the button twice to deadlock) the lights dont turn off. They have a period of 30 seconds where they should turn off if the car isn't locked and the keys are out, fairly sure that works. But none the less, i've got out and locked my car within probably 15 seconds and the lights have stayed on! First time i saw it was in Broadmeadows and i thought i just hadn't locked the car! Which would have been stupid, but then when it happened the second time i double checked and made sure the car was locked... it was! :S

Anyone had this problem? If so, how was it fixed? ECU Re-flashing by a Tech 2? Sticky relay?

Yeah, as soon as u take the keys out of the ignition & lock the car the lights will stay on for wateva time (in ur case 30sec). Ur car is locked & the lights are still on after 15 seconds, so there's another 15 seconds until they turn off.

Junny

purrrrrr
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo + shitty painted vp
if you want them to turn off straight away and cant be bothered with turning the switch. when u get out of your car. press unlock then lock. should turn off straight away.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
OK, so you know my car normally switches the lights off as soon as i press the lock button. A few times it hasn't been doing it though.

I do know about the 30 seconds thing, but when i went shopping for at least 10 minutes and came back to the car and the lights were still on something sounds wrong to me!

This morning in my car they switched off when i lokced the car straight away! :S It's puzzling me as to why it's done it twice. Because i never look back at it anymore to see if they are off!

The way it should work is stay on for 30 seconds which i have set, unless the car locks in which case the lights go off. If i dont lock it the lights should switch off after 30 seconds anyways!

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
when i lock mine it still stakes 10seconds for them to turn off (mine is set to 10sec)

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Even so if it was this problem, it doesn't explain them staying on at least 10 minutes while i shop? When mine is set to 30 seconds?! Actually, sorry, mine is set to 1 second, the courtesy light is set to 30 seconds. Courtesy light doesn't stay on though