Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heater stuck on, tried everything. Ideas?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
So my heater's stuck on in my vs V8... somehow.

I've replaced the heater tap, and the climate control is controlling the tap properly. I've even zip tied the tap shut so it can't open at all, but there's still so much heat coming from under the dash it's ridiculous.

The only thing I'm questioning is the heater hose tee locations for the lpg. One tee is between the heater tap and water pump and the other is between the water pump and firewall (on the other hose - passenger side).

Any ideas? With today being 40 degrees, it wasn't much fun even with the aircon going haha

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Is it a 2 or 4 way tap?

Sounds like you have basic 2 way, thought a VS would have the 4 way bypass tap?

Either way it sounds like it's hooked up right, in theory with the tap off the coolant should be going through the mixer without any restriction.
Maybe undo the hoses and make sure it's not blocked.

Last edited:

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Is it a 2 or 4 way tap?

Sounds like you have basic 2 way, thought a VS would have the 4 way bypass tap?

Either way it sounds like it's hooked up right, in theory with the tap off the coolant should be going through the mixer without any restriction.
Maybe undo the hoses and make sure it's not blocked.
It's just the 2 way tap, the v6 had the 4 way though. I was thinking that maybe the location of the second tee's causing the problem... it's right against the firewall, so pretty close to the heater core.. could that be it?

I'll pull it apart today and try to figure out what's happening.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
It shouldn't matter where the T piece is put on the 2nd pipe.
When the tap is off the coolant should be going through the T piece, lpg converter and back to the other T piece bypassing the heater.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Have a good look at the plumbing, I wouldn't be surprised if the return from the LPG mixer has been plumbed into the feed pipe for the HVAC instead of the return pipe.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Cheers for the replies guys.

Just had a look at it. The return line from the heater core isn't hot, but the heater core itself is too hot to touch so it looks like the heater taps doing its job..

Im considering putting the heater tap closer to the firewall. The engine covers are extremely hot and I can see the coolant in the heater hoses getting hot from that heat alone. Still strange.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Hows the bypass hose? under the TB from the manifold to the pump, kinked/blocked?

Really doesn't make sense, even if the hoses in the engine bay are as hot as the engine, the coolant in the core should be static (no flow with tap off)

I have an lpg commodore setup with the same tap as you (but v6) unfortunately it's 30K's away in a paddock, i'll try to get out there and get some pics of the hose setup on it (used to work perfectly before it was retired)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Cheers Jxw. I'm thinking the same. I'll suss out another manual heater tap tomorrow and try replacing it again. Maybe I just got a dud and it's letting a bit past? Pretty sure that bypass is fine, I replaced all of the heater hoses about 8 weeks ago. But I'll check again to make sure.

Appreciate the pics too. It was a v6 a few months ago, and I don't recall having this problem with the old setup at all.