Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP Please- What is this? It’s leaking pink kind of oil and temp is hotter than normal.

NicoleVZ06UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ My06 UTE
Hi all I’m in a pickle and need to know roughly how much repairs would be as hubby is critical in hospital atm and money is non existent. It’s a 2006 VZ myo6 Ute and my pride and joy as much as I can keep it that way. Always cared for serviced regularly but I don’t know what this pipe does.? Is it power steering fluid or radiator? I feel like the hole is in the rusted part of this pipe as it’s kind of sprayed all around there. Smells like burnt toast kind of. Just found it now as I felt car was hot so looked around. Any ideas of how much this stuff is to replace with new for a mechanic if that’s where it is actually leaking from.? If it’s radiator then why is the fluid dripping oily?. No signs of oil in radiator fluid when I checked 2 days ago before this leak appeared tho there was fluid on concrete then too but I just thought it was air con. I just need some idea of what I need to find to repair this and I always like to know what things are. Haven’t looked with engine on yet as I just got home and it’s late and dark.
Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5902.png
    IMG_5902.png
    852.2 KB · Views: 59

NicoleVZ06UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ My06 UTE
Sorry about the pic but it says original is too large to upload and I don’t know how to shrink picture to smaller pixels.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hi, that steel pipe is the power steering cooler.

iu

That is what it looks like (random pic from the interwebs). You need to pull the radiator out to pull it out.

If you need the car working urgently you can bypass the cooler by using a length of power steering hose going straight from the return line (from the power steering rack) to the reservoir.

NicoleVZ06UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ My06 UTE

iu

That is what it looks like (random pic from the interwebs). You need to pull the radiator out to pull it out.

If you need the car working urgently you can bypass the cooler by using a length of power steering hose going straight from the return line (from the power steering rack) to the reservoir.
Thank you, that explained why the fluid is pink and oily as that’s what my power steering fluid colour and feel is. I thought it was but had just had radiator replaced only 6months ago but he didn’t do the hoses and said he would when he did service but he still didn’t so was worried it was oil on coolant as coolant is also pink. The rust is pretty thick so I’d say that exactly what’s got a hole. Thanks for the tip. Any idea on how much that should cost to replace? The radiator replacement last year was done in about 1hr so hopefully this isn’t a $1000 job surely not?? Obviously I will ask a local mechanic on Monday but I have trust issues so like to know what’s what prior to calling at least. Thank you for your help, your time to reply is very much appreciated.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s an easy job. You could have a go yourself.

Cost though. It won’t be cheap.

Get someone to do it.
Minimum two hours labour @$150hr
Bumper off
Factory cooler will be expensive new. They are crap.
A power steering cooler is around $130 for an after market cooler. Way better.
Power steering oil and flush $100
$500-$600 would be realistic.

Most of us have the know how to do it for a pittance.

I’d remove the bumper, reuse the lines in where good. Cut with pipe cutters so no contamination in the line. Then flare the ends. No removal of the other parts needed. Then some power steering hose and an after market cooler. Top up power steering fluid.

Not a great time for this to happen.

Also power steering and trans fluid (same stuff) is messy.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
This bloke is a one man band wrecker in Nambour and has a number of VZ's.
I believe he is also a mobile mechanic.

His name is Chris Finney for memory.
Might be worth a call.
I have bought off him over the years but never had him do mechanical work.

One way to repair it ( temporary) is to cut a small piece of push bike inner tube or similar and place it over the rust hole then hold it in place clamped with a small utilux style clamp.
Fiddly but works for me on pressure water pipes in the home.

I am sure you aware it will keep leaking fluid until the power steer stops working then real trouble

Good luck with your husband, hope all goes well and he is home soon.
DSCN1136.JPG

Last edited:

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon

iu

Or for temporary bypass, something like this that I just bent for the fun of it (I'm bored)
and connect it where the rubber hoses are just under the radiator, easily accessible from under the car but I would put it on ramps if i were doing it cause I am too old to squirrel myself under a low car.
Once on ramps probably 15 minute job.
You are welcome to this if you want to use it, I will just cut it to suit and flare both ends.
If you are not too far away send me a PM and I will give you the address at Alex Headland.

Attachments

• DSCN1137.JPG
    DSCN1137.JPG
    231.3 KB · Views: 25

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Definitely, there are many ways to skin this cat.

I too concur with @Fu Manchu , I would not put back a new genuine unit (if one can be found), I fitted a small trans cooler as my power steering cooler although I removed the radiator and ran all new lines instead or re-using the old ones.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Looking at what it is I recon if I had to replace mine (ebay second hand $185/ $285/ $315) I would simply make a new one using the 10 mm copper tube I have.

Reactions: Lex