Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP Vy 3.8 One Tonner won't start unless battery is disconnected just before

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY One Tonner 3.8
Hi all,
My One tonner won't start unless you disconnect the battery just before you start it any info on what it could be greatly appreciated as I just brought the ute and had no idea it would do this.
Kind Regards,
John.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Sounds like it’s something to do with the battery and/or battery clamps. I’d start with hitting them with a wire brush/sandpaper to see if that makes a difference.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY One Tonner 3.8
Sounds like it’s something to do with the battery and/or battery clamps. I’d start with hitting them with a wire brush/sandpaper to see if that makes a difference.
Hi thanks for trying to help but it has a brand new battery and the lights don't even dim when you go to start but all the ignition lights still come on when you turn the ignition on, its like it doesn't register its on start

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
long shot, but is there a chance it has a kill switch that's momentarily overriden when the battery is disconnected? Does the red flashing security light go off when you turn it on ? Another issue could be the key battery dying. Does the steel nub on the key casing securely touch the ring around the ignition key hole? These two need to 'talk' to allow the car to start.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Step two: Get a new key. Preferably from the key and security code from the owners manual.

MrMinnit for about $120 can do a genuine key from the codes, rather than copy the existing faults.