Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with Noise after changing timing belt....

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
Hi there all, Just finished replacing the cam timing belt and now there is a 'knocking noise' coming from the bottom end of the motor. I dont think it could be a big end bearing or the like as I only changed the timing belt and there was no noise like this before.

Has anyone had this happen to them...???

Cheers

Simon

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
hopefully you timed it up properly cos that could be a piston hitting valves.

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Panama, thanx for your reply however I am pretty sure that the RB30E is a 'Free Spining' Engine meaning valves will never hit pistons as long as it is running the standard cam which it is......

Thanx again for the reply....

Simon

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
could be then that your idler bearing is rooted. if grit gets into the bearing it can sond knocky but its just the bearing. maybe you disturbed it

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
re freespinning, I was told by someone who should know that the RB 30 is an interferrence type motor, does anyone know for sure?

hint, to see if the timing belt is broken, remove oil filler plug, inch over starter motor and have someone see if camshaft turns

Panama

Reaction score
Members Ride
'87 VL Calais with L67
i think the na with smash valves, but the turbo wont. because the turbo is only 6:1 compression. whereas na is about 9:1

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
86 VLCT/02 VY SV8
the pistons can not hit the valves in the na or the turbo. my old engine started knocking something terrible turned out i spun a bearing, just chucked another engine in for $500

starfire vc

now on 10 pound
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo, RB30ET VH wagon, 64 EH in the build.
if you fitted the timing belt incorrectly its possible for the valves to hit pistons.regardless of wehter its an interferance engine or not..if the valve timinig is out that much it will allso be running like a bag of she ite

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi there all, In regards to this noise..... I left out one thing when I done the changeover of the timing belt which may or may not be relevant. I did the harmonic balancer up with a rattle gun.... I know the bearing on the input shaft of the gearbox is on its way out......so maybe this could be the problem.........

Thanx again for the help so far........

Cheers

Simon

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi there all, just an update to my problem. I have the car booked into the mechanics on thursday so hopefully i can get to the source of the problem I will let you know what happens.......

Cheers

Simon