Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help

Stevenj

Reaction score
Members Ride
007 Ve Calias
I just purchased a 2009 ve sv6 and though I would do the right thing and change the coolant, I drained 5 litres out and put 5 in , the heater doesn't work so I bled the system with a bottle stuck in the filler hole, there was a fair amount of air came out but all seemed good, I took it for a long drive next day and the temp kept going from between 95 to 116, up and down and the fans were off and on a lot and I could smell burning coolant,I thought I'd check the coolant level today and it needed another 2 litres, I took it for enouther drive today and same thing, temp was up and down and fans on and off,I checked around the engine and at the back there is coolant Under the thermostat, on the gear box housing and some around where the head joins the block on the drivers side rear corner,before I changed it the temp was steady and I never heard the fans, there's no smoke out the exhaust and seems to run fine except for the temp and loss of coolant the car runs fine , I thought that it's the thermostat leaking but 2 litres is a lot and surely there would be coolant on the driveway, ( not a drop ) ,I'm worried that it's a blown head gasket and the coolant has been burnt ,
Any ideas would be much appreciated,
Thanks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
HG leaks are not overly common, whereas the thermostat housing leaks are pretty common. Plus because the job sucks the thermostat is probably buggard as it's likely never been replaced. I'd say this is your problem rather than a blown HG. @Fu Manchu and and & @krusing can probably add to the discussion.

Reactions: Lex

Stevenj

Reaction score
Members Ride
007 Ve Calias
Thanks mate,
I was worried because on the corner of the head had coolant stains that look like that was where it was coming from and I thought by having to add another 2 litres it must be being burnt in the engine.
Thanks for your time, I appreciate it very much

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Sounds like to me to be either -
  • Thermostat housing gasket
  • Heater pipes o/rings
  • Coolant Supply pipe o-ring
  • Heater tap weeping, or at the arm,
  • Heater pipes leaking at either end.
Assuming you bled the system correctly,
To lose that amount, that’s a fair leak,
Maybe degrease the area in question,
Place some red coolant in it (just enough, say 300mil), and hopefully you maybe able to see where it’s leaking from with a coolant trail.
have another look with a small mirror,
Or
jack it up,
Place jack stands under it,
And look a bit further up towards the top towards the Thermostat housing.

I’m tipping it’s the thermostat housing gasket, (being it’s a metal gasket), and has started to leak due to expansion & contraction,
Or
The o-rings. As there is 3 of them.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

Stevenj

Reaction score
Members Ride
007 Ve Calias
Thanks heaps mate, I will try what you say, I just can't believe that I changed the coolant and this happens. I'm hoping it's a coincidence, I brought it 2 weeks ago. Everything was fine until I touched it. ( I must have sexy hands ). Iv ordered a thermostat on eBay and will try a dyi job. Anyway, thankyou very much for your help

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I just purchased a 2009 ve sv6 and though I would do the right thing and change the coolant, I drained 5 litres out and put 5 in , the heater doesn't work so I bled the system with a bottle stuck in the filler hole, there was a fair amount of air came out but all seemed good, I took it for a long drive next day and the temp kept going from between 95 to 116, up and down and the fans were off and on a lot and I could smell burning coolant,I thought I'd check the coolant level today and it needed another 2 litres, I took it for enouther drive today and same thing, temp was up and down and fans on and off,I checked around the engine and at the back there is coolant Under the thermostat, on the gear box housing and some around where the head joins the block on the drivers side rear corner,before I changed it the temp was steady and I never heard the fans, there's no smoke out the exhaust and seems to run fine except for the temp and loss of coolant the car runs fine , I thought that it's the thermostat leaking but 2 litres is a lot and surely there would be coolant on the driveway, ( not a drop ) ,I'm worried that it's a blown head gasket and the coolant has been burnt ,
Any ideas would be much appreciated,
Thanks
It will be the filler assembly leaking at the front of the motor. Where it bolts to the motor. Coolant leaks back under the intake area. Dribbles down the back against the head.

We had two reputable places say our head gasket had gone. I knew where the leak was but was time poor. They didn’t want to hear it. They just wanted to fleece me of a couple of grand.

I managed to get a spot at our regular workshop. They could fit us in. He agreed with where the leak was. Did the job and yes that was the leak.

I’ve since had the same leak happen on two other VZ’s and a VE. Fixed them myself and did a write up on the job in the “How To” section of the forum.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Get a container under the drain plug and recover the new coolant. Just use it again.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I shouldn’t say it will be that. It could also be the thermostat and the sht fkery that comes off around that area the @krusing described.