Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How Old Were You When You Moved Out? (Of Home)

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Just as the title suggests. I'm 18 now and fairly sure i'm moving out into a townhouse with another guy in six weeks. Keen to see how old other people were and how you went with all the bills etc. At the moment my budget has everything covered but without much money spare until i start my new job.

Cheers.

illusionalvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota lexcen - vr.
i moved out of home when i as twelve. but i went to a foster home so that doesnt count :p. be conservative, have short showers, keep on top of bills, dont use unnecessary power, keep the house clean and try and ratings in case you need a new house, new location etc. the more work you put in now the easier it will get. split the bills 50/50, not a ill pay this month, you pay next month, because then there will be arguments.

set rules, which is against everything you want as a younger person. put money away each week to go towards bills, unforeseen problems. say you pay 170 a week for rent, put away 240 a week or however much you want. try not to fight with your house mate, you will have bad habits, as will he, just need to find a happy medium.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
i moved out when i was 18, then i moved back home, then i moved out about 6 months later for about 9 months but left the job i was in so i again moved back home. currently living at home im 20 i want to move out but ive got it to good at home :p oh and im poor.

Last edited:

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Thanks for the info guys. The other guy i'm moving in with is 24 and i've known him since i was 12 so thats a plus, and he is neat and tidy, keeps everything clean etc which is a big plus.
I'm selling my motorbike because there is no where to keep it at the new house, so that will give me money for the bond etc and some money in the bank in case of something going wrong in the house. So trying to cover all bases etc before i move.. which i think will be six weeks.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Paid my parents bored of $100 a week from the day I got a job. Moved out when I was 19 into my first house. Buying was cheaper than renting! Bought a three bedroom double garage place in Canberra and the repayments were $210 a fortnight. That was in 1999.

Now I'm onto my forth place and the other three are nice little income earners. :D

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
I moved out when I was 20, I actually moved interstate at the time also; I think I have been back home for a whole two weeks since then (not all at once thank god), I am now almost 27yo. My advice would be as above, put extra money away, keep the place neat and tidy and keep on top of bills; I'd also highly recommend cooking for yourself as it's much cheaper and healthier than eating takeaway.

CSP's advice is also an option if you can afford it, think long and hard about it though as owning a home is a fair big commitment at 18 (also I can image house, and repayments have gone up significantly since 1999).

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Moved out when i was 19, purchased a block of land and rented for 2 years whilst saving and then building our first house.

mattgreen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Pack
move out when i was 18 and moved to the goldcoast (came from down nsw)

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Moved out at 19, Can cover all the bills, But only just, But hey better to have your own rules and your own stuff :D