Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How-To: Cable to Hydraulic Clutch Conversion - Borg Warner T5

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR V6 Turbo Ute, 99 STI EJ207 GT FORESTER
Hey guys,
Ive just finished doing a lot of mad upgrades to my already crazy VR V6 turbo ute, but that aside, the main one that i wanted to share with you guys is my successful conversion from the crappy old cable clutch (which gets hot especially on a turbo setup and becomes even stiffer)
This has previously been basically non-existant on the forums (as far as i've seen)

I've done all the trial and error for you guys and I can report back now after a few weeks of driving that it is 100% successful and I love it. Even though I have a monster custom made clutch with 1500kg clamp force and a 6 puck ceramic clutch plate, the pedal feel is still quite good (well for me anyway haha) If you have a standard/ish clutch im sure you will feel even lighter.

In using the same bore slave as the master, the pedal effort goes up obviously to 1:1, though had to be done to get enough throw (25mm) at the fork to fully disengage the clutch. If someone can find a slave cylinder with 7/8" (22mm) bore (same as stock getrag slave) to work that would give you less pedal effort. I do have the getrag slave that I got with the pedal box, though due to the design of the bolt holes I didnt bother trying it out (i probably should of just out of curiosity) though was more concerned in getting the car back on the road after a week or so of trial and error.

ANYWAYS, BE SURE TO SEE MY VIDEO OF THE PROPER RUNDOWN AND HOPEFULLY THIS HELPS SOME PEOPLE OUT IN AN OTHERWISE UN-DOCUMENTED CONVERSION

https://youtu.be/eUzuEbmNWYI

Here's a quick run down of what you'll need (or at least what I used)

-VS Commodore III manual pedal box
-VS Commodore III 3/4" clutch master cylinder & it's firewall mounting bracket
-Early model Ford XR/XT 3/4" clutch slave cylinder
-Speedflow 200series AN-3 fittings and hose for clutch pressure line
-Billet aluminium clutch fluid reservoir (can you stock plastic one, though barely holds any fluid and IMO looks cheap and crappy)
-And lastly and the hardest, you'll need to fabricate or get someone to fabricate a bracket to mount your clutch slave to the side of the gearbox to push the clutch fork forward.

Any questions just ask :)