Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How to: Change bonnet struts, a beginner's guide.

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
Many a time I've seen people struggle with boot lids and tailgates which won't hold themselves up in shopping centre car-parks, and I've sure we've all had, or heard of someone who's had a bonnet come crashing down on their heads. It boggles my mind why people continue to struggle with the frustration of failed bonnet, boot or tailgate struts.

Generally you can feel the slop in them as they start to lose pressure, as I felt with my bonnet recently. Tell-tale signs are a general loose or sloppy feeling as you open the boot/tailgate, as if it just doesn't have that "spring" that it used to, an obvious sag when open, inability to hold itself up when open, and the best evidence of failed boot/bonnet struts, a minor concussion. As soon as you feel or see any of these signs, is the best time to change them. BEFORE it gets to the point where you need to physically hold the bonnet/boot up yourself.

Anyway, I've blabbered away enough, let's start tinkering.

This in particular was performed on a VZ Commodore bonnet. Other makes and models will vary slightly in terms of tools required, but the procedure is much the same.

Beginning with what's required:
8363111189_78fe0b7783_z.jpg

-A new pair of struts
-Medium flat-blade screwdriver
-Grease and rags
-Something to hold the bonnet/boot up. I chose a spare jack handle. Other options include some 2x4, various types of pole, any mate who is easily roped into holding up heavy objects etc.
-Any other tools obviously required (In this case, a T30 Torx bit/socket and something to spin it)

Now, pop the bonnet/boot and support it using your preferred solution. Make sure this is secure, and won't slip or give-way easily.
8363110589_0cd71c0b6e_z.jpg

Next, grab the screwdriver and gently pry out the clip holding the strut to the knuckle. Please don't fling it into your eye, I take no responsibility if you do. Don't say I didn't warn ya.
8364174910_8c0b9c8160_z.jpg

8364174502_6c695811a8_z.jpg

Now, while making sure that your supporting pole/plank/friend is secure, give the strut a tug and it should easily pop off the knuckle.
8364174050_f5935b4b34_z.jpg

Next, remove the strut by whatever means necessary for your application. Some will be a second knuckle, others might be bolted down like mine was.
8364173616_c467f00b16_z.jpg

Now it's the old story: Installation is the opposite of removal.

Just make sure you wipe the knuckle down and add a dab of fresh grease to it. Also, generally you won't need to pry out the retaining clip on the new struts to fit them. They should snap into place with a bit of pressure.

Repeat for other side, double-check all your handy-work and make sure everything is secure before removing your method of support. Then open and close the bonnet/boot a few times, make sure everything is working smoothy, and voila! Enjoy having a bonnet/boot which holds itself up again.

Happy tinkering!
Luke52.

PZVNGI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive Series II
Great tut, easy to read, easy to follow.