Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] How To: Fix the VS V6 4 Wire O2 sensor earth problem – Known Holden Problem

duca1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
So true,
very well written up to be honest.
I had actually followed your diagram step by step my first shot and went through a tank and it didnt seem to help, like the other person had alot of trouble with his 99 VS ute. I myself have a 95 VS sedan.
I saw somthing about a memcal problem with the 95 vs's earlier on in the thread, but im pretty sure my memcal has its original stock one.

Just a quick question, since i have cut the black wires that go back into the ECU from the sensors would i be getting an error code? it would be a strong reading. the o2 sensors are obveously not working lol. Because i had the car running for a few minutes after they were cut and i still got the 12 ok code.

Can i have your opinion on that?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
generally, the o2 sensors have to heat up enough first, thus telling the ecu its ready and to drop out of open loop. it then feeds readings to it, only if no readings or over voltage readings occur, this is when it will log a code.

you've disconnected the heater (from memory maybe the o2 curcuit also), so it takes longer to heat up, in turn longer time in open loop, using more fuel. i dont believe you've run the engine long enough for it to log anything.

redo the fix as ur first go at it, disconnected the battery for a couple mins to reset the learnt process of the ecu, replace ur o2's if you havent already. then drive around as normal for 2tanks so the ecu will learn again. hopefully at this stage consumption should start to drop. if not this hasnt been the cause of your increased usage.

hope that makes sense

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
earth direct to the engine as per factory or the ecu will see variances in the voltages

Remdogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Commodore Executive
Thanks for the info. I had error code 63 No signal LH oxygen sensor. Did this and new sensors then cleared the fault codes with my mates G scan unit and drove around with it plugged in and it said I was getting 7.9L/100Kms when cruising. Couldn't be happier.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
thanks for the feedback, its always good to hear of another success story :)

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
well ive had a similar problem in my 94 vr v6. can i just earth the o2 sensor straight off it to the chassis or not?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
im not 100% sure that this affects the VR!

you can, u'll have to splice into the earth wire and find a bolt on the body.

Excale

Aussie N Proud!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 5sp Manual[SOLD], VN V6[SOLD],VR S 5sp
My 94 VR manual has started to be really **** on fuel. The engine light will come on while driving then turn off for awhile and come back on! just did a diagnostic test and got Code 13 - Oxygen Sensor (O2) - No Signal . do i have to re-earth my ecu like you and buy a new o2 sensor?
cheers

Last edited:

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
For starters, the code 13, is saying no signal, meaning the o2 is screwed. Being a vr, I don't believe this fix applies.

I would change ur o2 sensors, reset the ecu (dc battery) and then Go for a drive long enough for the o2 to heat up and work correctly. Then check again for any codes, which ther shouldnt be any.

Ur issue I believe is a simple replace o2's and away u go. Results will tell!

Excale

Aussie N Proud!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 5sp Manual[SOLD], VN V6[SOLD],VR S 5sp
For starters, the code 13, is saying no signal, meaning the o2 is screwed. Being a vr, I don't believe this fix applies.

I would change ur o2 sensors, reset the ecu (dc battery) and then Go for a drive long enough for the o2 to heat up and work correctly. Then check again for any codes, which ther shouldnt be any.

Ur issue I believe is a simple replace o2's and away u go. Results will tell!

Thats what i expected! Buying a new o2 Sensor tomorrow and will let you know how i go, cheers for the response.

EDIT: Bought the o2 sensor and installed it and all seems good! cars running alot better, i filled the tank to full so i'll monitor the fuel consumption. Cheers

Last edited: