Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To Flush A V6 Cooling System

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
How and where do we drain the block by removing knock sensors, can't see it anywhere in this thread.

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
Bitch of a job, probably not needed unless the system is as dirty as... stuff.

while i'm here, heres the method as outlined by holden in flushing the system and filling without using the "special" tool.

Last edited:

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Thanks Alex 2 s, you're not wrong, pain in the arse alright! I thought it'd be good to drain the flush water out, not because my system is dirty. But by the looks of that I'll just stick to my usual method of flushing.

KegRaider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 Acclaim S2
50% NaCL coolant used?

So anyway I pulled the whole thing apart got the water pump out and noticed a slight corrosion problem. I wonder if you can spot it in the picture below:

LOL, so your poor engine was cooling by convection currents :) Thanks for sharing the image mate, I have to change my waterpump next weekend when I return home, it has developed a rather loud bearing noise. I just hope it doesn't look as bad as yours ;)

NaCL is the chemical for for "Sodium Chloride" or Salt for those who remember year 10 chemistry :D

Jamie-b

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
I got a radiator cap,(that may have caused myooked engine) and on the top of it it says 16lBS and on the top of my intake it says the cooling sustem is 135 Kpa, how can i convert Lbs to Kpa? or would it mean 16 psi?

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
16 psi is about 110 kpa so id dare say the cap is not rated for the system, keep in mind the 135 kpa is higher than most cooling systems out there.

KegRaider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 Acclaim S2
The tip for removing/installing the engine belt by using a ringspanner....simply AWESOME! I had a go at just using brute force to press down, my god what a monster! Hooked up the tension pulley nut to my 15mm KingChrome socket driver, and almost instantly the blighter was low enough to slip on :) I'm looking forward to more home repairs.....I haven't been this excited since I rebuilt my old 186 Torana engine!

jbangr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive V6
i was told when flushing the system once pulled bottom hose off coolant will come out when stopped undo bleeder and more will come out, iwas told that lot was the coolant/water that was in the block? did i hear wrong orrr?

griffin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina wagon
Hi all - looking over the first post on page one outlining the instructions for the flush. But what I cant figure out, is in this step;

Remove the bigger of the 2 heater hoses on the RHS of the engine (sitting from drivers seat). Replace the bottom and the top radiator hoses, but don't worry about securing them. Remove the radiator cap, and once again, place the garden hose in the filler neck. The radiator will fill up, then begin to circulate through the heater core. The heater controls MUST be set to HOT in order for this to work correctly! You will see all of the sludge come out of the side of the engine. Continue with this until the water flowing from the block is clear. Cover the block outlet with your hand. This will start water flowing from the hose you disconnected. Continue this procedure until the water starts to flow clear! You can do these steps as many times as you like, or untill your happy with the clarity of the water flowing out

When it says the heater controls are set to HOT does this mean the engine is to be running when this step is underway????
Cheers for any help!

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
No it just circulates the water through the heater core. When you are flushing you will, however need the engine running and the heater on. Before this I take off the top heater hose and gently flush water through the heater as well.