Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] How to install VY/VZ Sunglasses holder in VT/VX

nitemares

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ White Crewman ute.
A note of caution.

Step 6) Run your new loom through the roof from the centre console to the dome lamp. I cut mine about this long (look at attached image). You can also see the cut i made to the roof trim in this photo.

Step 7) What you need to do is on the dome lamp loom, cut all the wires except White/Green Trace at about whatever length you feel comfortable. Be mindful that you cant pull the loom out any further unless you remove the roof trim.

The way you need to connect them are as follows:
(my loom ------------ dome lamp loom)
Black --------------- Earth to the roof via the screw for the dome lamp (in later pic)
Green -------------- Orange/black
White -------------- Black
Blue ---------------- Yellow/blue

Step 7) Before you solder your wires slip some shrink wrap on. Much easier than electrical tape and looks better. There is a pic attached on how I joined my wires before soldering.

Step 8) Once you have soldered / shrink wrapped all of your wires, tape up the loom if you wish so its all bound. The original dome lamp had a slit in one of the leg posts for the mounting screw (as shown in picture) I slipped my ground through here with an O-ring type terminal on the end. very easy to ground like this.

Step 9) Once your done, plug it all up, and YOUR ALL DONE! Wasnt so hard was it?

All up this cost me:
$15 for the centre roof console
$7 for the connection plug
$2.50 for shrink wrap
$6 on wire (i bought 7 core trailer wire since i couldnt find the colors i needed seperate in automotive gauge)

Not bad :yeah:

All lights work independently and turn on when doors open. Only fault with the way it is wired now is that if the dome lamp is switched to "Off" the new console will not turn on when the doors open / car is unlocked. they DO however still work manually as map lights. So no big deal. Only way around this is to get a VY/VZ loom and run a whole bunch of other cabling which, in my opinion, is just NOT WORTH IT! Why would you have your dome lamp set to OFF anyway?

The connector at the rear/middle light is small and the wires connected there are tiny. Be careful soldering in the vehicle....as I wasn't. You would not believe...the last joint I just moved the iron away quickly and grazed the surface of the roof linig.....nice burn through.

I also found that when I dropped my roof lining down. (VZ Crewman) on the roof side of the lining at the front was a cut out marked for the sunglass holder/console. I still made a template which helped for the back end of the whole that ends up being under the insulation.

I also took the chance of dropping into the holden dealer for the screws. They are special screws, he said something about 4.2mm.....I have ordered them and they are going to cost $1.00 each.

On the back of my roof console was a guide and lock plastic tongue. This also helped to line everything up and is holding mine in place now whilst I await the arrival of the screws.

Nice upgrade....all works great....and looks good I think.....just don't look at the burn marks.....bugger.

:)

P.S. Just got the screws. They went straight in once I took the little plastic bits on the ends off......they are seriously short. Here is a pic.

roof screws.jpg

Last edited:

needHELPbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 WH Statesman
This looks mad, thanks man defiantly trying this in the statesman. :)

whSuper

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Hey guys, Did this in my VX Berlina Wagon a few days back. wired it up as close to the instructions as I could, but must've done something wrong! Map lights work, but can't get the door / on / off switch to work and it won't illuminate when the doors are open.
The other problem is with the centre lights. Map lights have stopped working and for a while, the (centre, or dome?) light would not turn off in either the "on" or "off" position, but worked fine in the "door" position. Today, I had to pull the fuse. dome light would not turn off at all, accompanied by the foot well lights.
Can someone give me a simple diagram or explanation which wires (on the sunglass holder / map lights) are which? I'm thinking I'll be better off, just running new wiring up the A pillar, and across the front of the hood lining, completely independent of the original dome light. (I assume the black is an earth, but the other three have me a bit stumped) please help!!!!

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hey guys, Did this in my VX Berlina Wagon a few days back. wired it up as close to the instructions as I could, but must've done something wrong! Map lights work, but can't get the door / on / off switch to work and it won't illuminate when the doors are open.
The other problem is with the centre lights. Map lights have stopped working and for a while, the (centre, or dome?) light would not turn off in either the "on" or "off" position, but worked fine in the "door" position. Today, I had to pull the fuse. dome light would not turn off at all, accompanied by the foot well lights.
Can someone give me a simple diagram or explanation which wires (on the sunglass holder / map lights) are which? I'm thinking I'll be better off, just running new wiring up the A pillar, and across the front of the hood lining, completely independent of the original dome light. (I assume the black is an earth, but the other three have me a bit stumped) please help!!!!

This post on my thread and also into the next page is another with some more details.

Uniacidz Headlining

Boothy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Wagon, VY Commodore
I know this is an old thread, but i am attempting this on a vy exec. doesnt have individual switched lights in the sunglasses (so has fake buttons as mentioned in this thread) and it appears the vy exec has 4 wires to the centre dome lamp. Sunglasses holder has the 6 wires. and none are purple which appears to denote the luxury model bcm. If anybody can give a straight answer asto which wire to connect to which would be very handy as none of the options here seem appropriate to the colours and number of wires i have. Thanks

ElliottMoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Just installed one in my VY Exec with non-individual switches (fake buttons) like the post above this one.

In the Dome.
For the wiring loom I made up to go to the sunglasses holder
Wire 1 connects to Pink/Black Stipe which is 12v positive
Wire 2 connects to the Green wire which is ground
Wire 3 connects to the Gray wire which is Ground when door is opened

Ignore the Red wire which goes from the middle of the switch to the bulb and back into the loom. that is ground from the switch to the bulb and then goes off to ground the ignition globe.

And in the Sunglasses holder (cut the original plug off)
Join the Green wire (Bulb Negative) to the Red wire of the switch
Wire 1 from the loom connects to the Red/Black stripped wire which is the one that splits into two and goes to the positive of each bulb
Wire 2 from the loom connects to the Pink wire (which passes through to the red wire when switched to the on position)
Wire 3 from the loom connects to the Blue wire (which passes through to the red wire when switched to the door position)

Basically, you are mirroring the same circuit from the dome light and running it parallel to the sunglasses holder light. So the dome and sunglasses holder lights will operate independently according to which switch position you have selected on each light.

To make things easier for me in the future if I want to take one of the fixtures out, I used old computer power supply hard drive plugs on either end of the loom so I can connect and disconnect as pleased and leave the wiring loom in the roof.

Dome light wiring.jpg Sunglasses holder wiring.jpg dome light wiring circuit.jpg sunglasses holder wiring circuit.jpg Holden Wiring Dome Lamp.jpg

twoshay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Anyone got the template for this they could share with me?
Thanks

ElliottMoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
It's not perfect but this is what I cut out 1st off. I think I did do some more cuts after that to make it fit. but it gives you a good start. the square was my 1st cut over the screw holes to line up the screws on my original template I made by tracing the sunglasses holder. Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_20170714_0001.pdf
    51.7 KB · Views: 311
  • 20170714_215906.jpg
    20170714_215906.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 275