Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VY] How To: Wire Foglights for VY series 2

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
So there seems to have been a bit of demand lately for people trying to wire foglights up and seeing as I've done it i figured i may as well put it up rather than repeating in various threads.

What you'll need:
New headlight switch with foglight function
Relay (i bought this from holden as it shows how it needs to be wired on the back)
2 foglights
2 male connectors for foglights
4 connectors for relay
4M each of 2 different coloured wires (15 amp wire i think i used)
4M of one coloured 5A wire
15amp spade fuse and fuse holder
1 small connector to fit into the back of the headlight switch (the smallest one you can find really cause the one i had was still too big and it was the smallest i could find)
Solder and soldering iron
Heat shrink

DISCONNECT BATTERY BEFORE STARTING WORK

Step 1: Remove front bumper by removing 2 screws in each wheel well and the 3 screws under the bonnet

Step 2: Install foglights in to front bumper and check that they are installed so the light shines away from the centre of the car

Step 3: Find a grommet in the firewall of the car and run a 5A wire through it and up to the headlight switch

Step 4: Remove the headlight switch. I did this by gently prying around it with a screw driver and then using one on either side to bring it out straight. It will be tough to get out as there are 2 flat springs on either side you should compress but i couldn't get them to do it so i bodged it. Also you will need to remove the small piece of interior under the steering wheel and also the peice on the side as well as i found that made it easier to access the switch.

Step 5: Remove harness from back of switch and check to see how well you connector fits the spade on the back of the headlight switch. You may need to adjust it so it fits. Then check to see if the connector will fit in the plastic plug for the wiring harness. Mine didnt so i used a 3mm drill bit to easy the hole out a fair bit to make it fit.

IMG_0053.jpg

Make sure you get it on the right connector as putting it in the other blank space will do nothing and its a pain to do twice

Step 5: Run a 15A wire from the battery and install fuse on this wire. After the fuse attach a 5A wire and run both the 5A and the 15A wire to the relay and wire accordingly. I have the relay sitting pretty much beside the battery to save on wires and also make it easier to get to. Every connection should be soldered and heat shrink wrapped to make sure it is water proof and wont break and cause you problems down the track. (Im not sure if you need to install a 5A fuse on the wire running to the switch but i didnt and havent had any problems so its up to you)

Step 6: Connect the 5A wire from the headlight switch up to the relay on the opposite side to the 5A wire feeding the relay.

Step 7. Run two (2) 15A wires down to the front bar. I ran these just straight down from the battery beside the horn. Run two (2) 15A wires to each foglight making sure each wire is a different colour to make it easier for someone else if they are working on your car.

IMG_0057.jpg

This shows where i ran the wires for the left hand fog light the first time i wired them and its a terrible idea. Run the two wires through the support bar as they wont show or drop down into the radiator grill like mine used to.

Step 8: Wire up the male connectors to the end of each wire and make sure you positive matches up (red to red, black to black is how mine are)

Step 9: Run your negative wire back to the negative side of the battery. (I believe you can just earth the negative but i didnt so as to me it was simpler to just ran it back to the battery. Also this has worked flawlessly for me so i dont see any reason to change it)

Step 10: IMPORTANT: DON'T REASSEMBLE ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE CHECKED THAT THEY WORK CORRECTLY.

Step 11: Install headlight switch back in dash along with other interior pieces. Re-install front bumper.

Now you should have working foglights.

Here's a wiring diagram which shows how i wired them up:

foglightswiring.jpg

I hope that helps and if anyone else reckons something can be done a better way and has proof not just your personal opinion I'm happy to change it.

Also i did this about 18months ago and lost most of the photos and didnt expect to be writing a how to as i had no idea what i was doing at the time so this is the best i could come up with.

Enjoy