Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV catbacks?

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Were the original factory HSV cat backs stainless or mild steel? I have came upon one for sale that has been sitting around for many years and from the photos there appears to be surface rust on the pipes and mufflers in some areas. My VX SS factory system is stainless and doesn't appear to have the same surface rust look. I am after a nice quiet system but not vaccum cleaner quiet like the original SS system, were the factory HSV cat backs any louder than the SS systems, they look similar but the HSV system appears to be dual all the way through.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Yes they are a/steel. HSV systems are dual 2.25 inch.

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
The mufflers are also straight through design, albeit offset inlets and outlets.
I have extractors, stock cats and HSV catback on my VX. It's got a bit of a note outside the car, but you don't really hear it much unless the window is down.With windows up on big throttle the intake noise is louder in the car (MCAI setup).
I put it on after I couldn't deal with the constant twin 2.5" XForce "medium" (full rear muffler) noise anymore. Apparently I got old.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
The mufflers are also straight through design, albeit offset inlets and outlets.
I have extractors, stock cats and HSV catback on my VX. It's got a bit of a note outside the car, but you don't really hear it much unless the window is down.With windows up on big throttle the intake noise is louder in the car (MCAI setup).
I put it on after I couldn't deal with the constant twin 2.5" XForce "medium" (full rear muffler) noise anymore. Apparently I got old.

I had a HM stainless cat back on the SS for a few years and got tired of the drone under load, it got worse after it aged a bit, so I have put the original SS system back on, car is so much nicer to do long trips in but I wouldn't mind a bit more of a V8 note, that is why I thought the HSV catback might be a nice compromise, I didn't want to go to the trouble though if there was no difference in the sound to the standard SS system, looking at the HSV system it appears to be dual all the way through, so I assume it would have a bit more of a note.

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
How the HSV system compares to the stock SS system I couldn't tell you, since I've never had a stock system on my car. But the HSV system is louder than I would have expected a factory fitted legal system to be. Occasionally on the highway at 110 there's a slight note if you're listening for it.

Sometimes I consider chucking the XForce back on for a bit of V8 noise again, especially since we don't use it for highway travels anymore. If you're looking for a burble idling at the lights then a V8 bark when they go green the HSV system would be pretty disappointing.

Apart from the less noise bit, one of the things I appreciate about the HSV system over the aftermarket systems in this day of impoundings at the officer's discretion is the ability to actually have a bit of fun now and then without the whole block hearing about it.

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
The HSV ones are definately better than the SS systems. Dual 2.25" all the way through. They have a pretty decent but quiet note unlike the vacuum cleaner SS systems. I've had both a Hurricane (I think, one of the generic x-pipe systems like Redback, xforce etc) and an HSV catback on mine in past and I reckon the HSV sounded better than the Hurricane... less noise but more throbby.

My current pacemaker system sounds good but is loud and drones a bit, actually considering putting the HSV one back on, partly for the last reason you mentioned... I feel like I can't give it stick within earshot of anyone else...

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
The HSV ones are definately better than the SS systems. Dual 2.25" all the way through. They have a pretty decent but quiet note unlike the vacuum cleaner SS systems. I've had both a Hurricane (I think, one of the generic x-pipe systems like Redback, xforce etc) and an HSV catback on mine in past and I reckon the HSV sounded better than the Hurricane... less noise but more throbby.

My current pacemaker system sounds good but is loud and drones a bit, actually considering putting the HSV one back on, partly for the last reason you mentioned... I feel like I can't give it stick within earshot of anyone else...

Thanks for the feedback, I might keep an eye out for an HSV catback, I have found one but in the photos it looks a bit rusty which seems unusual for stainless steel.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
The reason it has surface rust is because it is 409 stainless not 304/316, 409 is used because its cheaper.

vtr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII HSV R8
Hey mate I know its off subject but I have a hsv system for sale with interchangeable rear resonator (standard and straight pipes) no drone with ether pipes on just a nice note with more noise with the straight pipes on