Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HSV Tuning and Bi-Modal

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
for off road use :p:p:p If picked up I’m sure the plod would buy into that argument :p:p:p

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
for off road use :p:p:p If picked up I’m sure the plod would buy into that argument :p:p:p
It's an offence to tamper with emission control devices and render a car non-compliant with ADR's.

Fitting high flow cats that have the typical appearance of a glorified hot dog resonator and look nothing like a stock cat, proves you've tampered with emission devices creating suspicion of non-compliance. If the vehicle fails an emission test with high flow cats and it will fail guaranteed, you'll cop the most severe tampering with emission control devices charge.

The cat biscuit can break up and render a stock cat ineffective, but it's not an offence to drive an emission non-compliant vehicle caused by cat failure. A piped stock cat done properly, eliminates the visual evidence and suspicion of emission tampering and if tested non-compliant, the vehicle will receive only a defect notice and work order to replace the failed cat!

Many don't realise that it doesn't matter if the exhaust is catless or fitted with non-compliant high flows, the charge for tampering with emission control devices is the same severity.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's an offence to tamper with emission control devices and render a car non-compliant with ADR's.

Fitting high flow cats that have the typical appearance of a glorified hot dog resonator and look nothing like a stock cat, proves you've tampered with emission devices creating suspicion of non-compliance. If the vehicle fails an emission test with high flow cats and it will fail guaranteed, you'll cop the most severe tampering with emission control devices charge.

The cat biscuit can break up and render a stock cat ineffective, but it's not an offence to drive an emission non-compliant vehicle caused by cat failure. A piped stock cat done properly, eliminates the visual evidence and suspicion of emission tampering and if tested non-compliant, the vehicle will receive only a defect notice and work order to replace the failed cat!

Many don't realise that it doesn't matter if the exhaust is catless or fitted with non-compliant high flows, the charge for tampering with emission control devices is the same severity.
Yeah, i know that but doing a sneaky cat delete and ecu update to shut of post cat efficiency trouble codes is also definitely tampering.

It's just harder to get picked up on it as it's less visually obvious. But if they start turning up to roadside checks with a sniffer, you are stuffed. Just don't know if the roadside EPA enforcement actions do such things (yet)...

I'd assume if you do get picked up on a road side check and its determined you pump out too much of the bad stuff while your ECU doesn't flag a trouble code then surely the hammer will fall just as much and just as hard as an obviously non compliant exhaust. And should they want to, it's not difficult at all for them to check for legit factory tune as GM/H have a TSB specifically to guide techs in determine such...

Regardless, my comment was tongue in cheek as it's each to their own since we are all big boys and know the rules and how to assess risk :cool:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
OMG I've been living a lie. Bi-modal is usually good right up until you boost. Then it becomes a little more dangerous. That said if you're livening up a beauty like that a full exhaust will pull more ponies and there are some really good systems that reduce the obnoxious factor until you hit the loud pedal. Best of both worlds

Remember starting with a tune, just means you'll be tuning again and again and maybe again. Nek minit 3k+ just on tunes

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yeah, i know that but doing a sneaky cat delete and ecu update to shut of post cat efficiency trouble codes is also definitely tampering.

It's just harder to get picked up on it as it's less visually obvious. But if they start turning up to roadside checks with a sniffer, you are stuffed. Just don't know if the roadside EPA enforcement actions do such things (yet)...

I'd assume if you do get picked up on a road side check and its determined you pump out too much of the bad stuff while your ECU doesn't flag a trouble code then surely the hammer will fall just as much and just as hard as an obviously non compliant exhaust. And should they want to, it's not difficult at all for them to check for legit factory tune as GM/H have a TSB specifically to guide techs in determine such...

Regardless, my comment was tongue in cheek as it's each to their own since we are all big boys and know the rules and how to assess risk :cool:
The obsession with cats has always amused me with the perception of cat fitment makes a car emission legal. Many won't pipe a stock cat, yet they'll fit 100 cell high flows if tested, results in the same emission failure. You don't get half a charge for 100 cells and a full charge for catless, it's the same charge no matter how you've tampered with emission control devices and rendered them ineffective and the car non-compliant.

California USA is the worst I've heard for emission testing I don't think is roadside, but at a certain age, each car must pass an emission test for rego. They use an OBD scanner to make sure there's no 02 sensor codes and the post cat sensors are working. I don't think it's a sniff test and to pass the test, they put their cats back on and stock exhausts if they're noisy and change the tune in relation to cat efficiency and post cat sensor function to the stock settings. They seem to get camshafts through providing they're not too wild.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
The obsession with cats has always amused me with the perception of cat fitment makes a car emission legal. Many won't pipe a stock cat, yet they'll fit 100 cell high flows if tested, results in the same emission failure. You don't get half a charge for 100 cells and a full charge for catless, it's the same charge no matter how you've tampered with emission control devices and rendered them ineffective and the car non-compliant.

California USA is the worst I've heard for emission testing I don't think is roadside, but at a certain age, each car must pass an emission test for rego. They use an OBD scanner to make sure there's no 02 sensor codes and the post cat sensors are working. I don't think it's a sniff test and to pass the test, they put their cats back on and stock exhausts if they're noisy and change the tune in relation to cat efficiency and post cat sensor function to the stock settings. They seem to get camshafts through providing they're not too wild.
California has gone as far now as testing the counts the ecu has been flashed and if its any more then the dealer with OE calibrations then u are defected until the tune is back to stock, every single vehicle if it has a vin it has to be 100% roadworthy even if its a drag car on trailer if it has a vin ur gone, drag cars will need vin taken off to not be done if caught, i was watching some YT guys with big modded ctsv's and since the laws changed couple years ago not a single video about the car anymore they moved on to other builds of earlier vehicles n such :(

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride

Currently BAR & CARB look after vehicle pollution requirements and enforcement and for consumer vehicles post 79 and older than 8 model years where the target cars require biennial smog check. The following website states:

In order to receive a valid smog certificate, your vehicle must pass all parts of the smog check inspection. A smog check may include any of the following tests:​
  • Visual inspection of emission control components and systems.
  • Functional inspection of the vehicle's check engine light, ignition timing, exhaust gas recirculation system, fuel evaporative system, and gas cap.
  • Functional inspection of the vehicle's onboard diagnostic (OBD) system.
  • Tailpipe emissions inspection, or emissions test.
https://www.samsara.com/guides/the-complete-guide-to-california-smog-check-requirements/

Supposedly it can be a big PITA :oops:

Worse still, it’s getting even tougher in California where the authorities have gone after performance/mod shops for knowingly selling non compliant stuff that get put on road cars by their owners. Some businesses have been fined and gotten customer lists seized :eek: Such was mentioned in a performance shops YouTube video I saw a while ago (sorry can’t find it).

And it’s not just California as Utah also gets into such action

https://kutv.com/news/local/diesel-brothers-ordered-to-pay-1m-in-pollution-case#

No doubt at some stage the same sort of actions may start to occur down under and it will all feel rather heavy handed for the old timers. Until then, people will think they can do what they want with impunity but the reality is to do anything non factory requires either full certification by the owner or using components that come with certification from the seller.

Luckily enforcement here isn’t gestapo strict as yet but if they want to strictly apply current laws many will be screwed and fined heavily :oops:

The future will be welcome to the world of EV modding :rolleyes:

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Currently BAR & CARB look after vehicle pollution requirements and enforcement and for consumer vehicles post 79 and older than 8 model years where the target cars require biennial smog check. The following website states:

In order to receive a valid smog certificate, your vehicle must pass all parts of the smog check inspection. A smog check may include any of the following tests:​
  • Visual inspection of emission control components and systems.
  • Functional inspection of the vehicle's check engine light, ignition timing, exhaust gas recirculation system, fuel evaporative system, and gas cap.
  • Functional inspection of the vehicle's onboard diagnostic (OBD) system.
  • Tailpipe emissions inspection, or emissions test.
https://www.samsara.com/guides/the-complete-guide-to-california-smog-check-requirements/

Supposedly it can be a big PITA :oops:

Worse still, it’s getting even tougher in California where the authorities have gone after performance/mod shops for knowingly selling non compliant stuff that get put on road cars by their owners. Some businesses have been fined and gotten customer lists seized :eek: Such was mentioned in a performance shops YouTube video I saw a while ago (sorry can’t find it).

And it’s not just California as Utah also gets into such action

https://kutv.com/news/local/diesel-brothers-ordered-to-pay-1m-in-pollution-case#

No doubt at some stage the same sort of actions may start to occur down under and it will all feel rather heavy handed for the old timers. Until then, people will think they can do what they want with impunity but the reality is to do anything non factory requires either full certification by the owner or using components that come with certification from the seller.

Luckily enforcement here isn’t gestapo strict as yet but if they want to strictly apply current laws many will be screwed and fined heavily :oops:

The future will be welcome to the world of EV modding :rolleyes:
This thread needs to be deleted, you never know who’s reading it, may give people ideas, considering probably 95% of JC members have modded cars. Just saying.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
This thread needs to be deleted, you never know who’s reading it, may give people ideas, considering probably 95% of JC members have modded cars. Just saying.
There’s nothing new here. There are always those looking for political gain, and beating the “good for the environment” drum is definitely considered a Thing … and to be honest among ourselves they’d have a huge point if there weren’t so few of us that our impact simply doesn’t matter. From that POV, I don’t think there’s much to fear from those with a true interest in saving humans from themselves; the danger is the same political manipulations that’ve ramped-up the Speed Kills rhetoric despite the results of research.