Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Hydraulic Flat Tappet VS Hydraulic Roller - Crane 276 and 2030

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Could always try a quality single beehive spring, LS engines seem to run just fine with em. I would. Something like the PAC springs.

H

harrop.senator

Had a 276 in my senator before i oulled the engine. I dont know if it was tuned badly it had a chiptorque memcal. 6 white valves out of 16 and used to have no low down torque.

It reved a lot more then it was meant to and saw 6 -6200 often. Had stock gear ratios and a 2500 more stall. It made the car very slow as it had ridiculous legs.

It used to oush the converter at lights. You could idle lump 15k an hour in car parks once it chugged a run up. First gear did nothing spectacular until 40ks an hour or 3k and then pulled into redline.

Couldnt believe how small the shaft was when we removed it. Supposedly the be all end all stock 5 litre enhancement cam. I think with 3.45s and up itd be fine. But in performance mode it didnt bang into third til 145k an hour it revved a lot.

Needed more compression badly lost under the curve a lot. From memory it even bogged brake stalling to 2.5 it didnt launch with spin.

I had the stock hav cold air intake , hsv headers , twin hi flow cats , twin 2.5" mild with h pipe and 0-100 was just 7 seconds full stall. 6.5 flashing to 2 and have a little slip and spin on take off. It got jumped off the line by stock 5 litres reeled most back in wasnt exactly impressive.

From my small experience with holden v8s is they dont have enough compression stock or manifold. Unless its got short gears 3.7/3.9s dont push the power band up the rev range. With stock gears and compression in my opinion the stock hsv cam is best for auto.

A friends had a manual with 3.45s and a 276 and was a lot more tolerable.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV engines are identical to the Holden 304. The only difference was the intake, exhaust and tune.

Maybe it was no timed in correctly which will effect where the torque curve is?

The Crane cams are really old grinds, I'd use something more modern.

Yeah. Bananas aren't great if you want to Rev the old 304.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Didn't the grp a cars have something like the 276? They did have 3.45 gears too. I believe the SV5000 cars may have had 3.23 gears.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just wondering if anybody here has any real world experience and knowledge of roller cams vs hydraulic cams in the context of Holden V8's (5L in particular).

I'm aware of the benefits of a roller cam, but I'm just a little unsure of how well the specs of a roller cam translate to a flat tappet cam. For example, for a cam with the same specs in both types, could similar power and driveability be expected? For example, comparing the crane 276 flat tappet to the crane compucam 2030. The suggested basic rpm ranges suggest that there's a fair bit of difference in torque/driveability between the two.

Here are the specs for the compucam 2030.
[email protected]: 214/214 Adv Dur: 278/278 L/C: 112 Valve Lift: .464/.464
Rev range 1600-5000

Here are the specs for the 276.
[email protected]: 214/214 Adv Dur: 276/276 L/C: 110 Valve Lift: .464/.464
Rev Range 1800-4500

The basic question is, will the 2030 be a better cam for the street and perhaps outperform the 276?
There is a guy on the av8 forum selling a crane 2030 cam and lifters for reasonably good price.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I'd be wanting much shorter than 3.45...brother's vs put 3.7 gears to wake it up he reckoned it was using less per tank even though it did highway cruise in morning & afternoon peak hour traffic everyday.

It felt faster than it was for such basic mods..better than his mates cammed cars.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I've already contacted the bloke on av8 about that cam, it's kinda the reason for this thread haha. For the price, I reckon it might be worth a shot if it's similar to a 276.

Pulled the dizzy out of the spare engine last night, and will hopefully get the manifold off tomorrow night. Far bit of sludge in there, and the dizzy was hard to remove because of it. Will be interesting to see if the roller setup is still there.