Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Immortalities First Rescue...

H

harrop.senator

Unsure my ctek gave it up couple years ago , I'm on a chinesey repair and charge model that has a built in fan. You're one got a cooling fan?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No. No cooling fan :(

But it's a slight relief to hear I'm not the only one noticing the warmth from the charger.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Charger has safely made it to the float step, cool to the touch.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
So a little progress today. Got the engine all buttoned back up, fitted a fully charged battery and fired her up. Definitely quieter with the rockers shimmed on the drinkers side, still one distinct tick that goes away with revs so I will shim the other side as well some time in the future as it's not the biggest concern at this point and see if it goes away.

Let it idle to continue to bleed the cooling system, dropped the back of the car off the jack stands and backed her off the wheel ramps. She moves under her own steam.... just. Then she starts to boil over. Damn it, I'd forgotten the thermo fans don't turn on till 105° C on the standard tune. Doh!

Trans fluid is low and brown, rear tyre needs air so I figured a quick run around the block past the gas station to get some air.

Started driving, revs out fine in first and 2nd, get it under load in 3rd and it's not doing ****? Doing up the hill towards the gas station the same, need to kick it down a gear. Pump up the rear tyre and head home. Sort out the lack of indicators first (I'd borrowed the flasher unit for another car), top up the transmission and head out for a 2nd drive. Head up a hill and the same issue, it seems to have no power at low rpm and moderate load but will accelerate in 1st so there is only one solution, a quick trip on the motorway. Again she'll happily cruise but not happy trying to accelerate. Cooling system is working fine and temps drop to thermostat temp when at speed.

So I'm not 100% sure where to go with what I assume is a either an ignition miss or fueling issue. Seeing as I have no experience with LPG my first port of call with be ignition. I'll change out the ignition module and coils from a known running car and see what happens, might try some new leads. Could also try altering the plug gap. Not sure what gap I put the new plugs in with but could try closing them up a touch.

Next job was to tow the old VN out of it's hole onto the drive so I can clean and start stripping parts before the old girl leaves to go to her final resting place :( I towed it out with the VT, did I mention the trans was slipping....

0-02-07-cde72b9465ebff5ed09195d426a1d99e740ed7a2e044d42dec91b016d14a72ed_ec7c4b5344ca71fe.jpg

The terrible twosome!

So I have 2 options for the VT transmission issue. I have a spare 4l60e of about the right vintage to suit with full stage 2 shift kit and 2nd/4th servo's, boost valve and 2800rpm converter or I have a T5 manual transmission from the VN. The VN also has 3.45 gears and tight LSD unit which should go nicely in the VT.

The boss has instructed the VN is to go pronto!

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ohh, forgot. The cooling system is still full of sludge. The stuff coming out is very oily and thick like grease. Needs a good flush with some sort of chemical flush to break it down. The coolant also stinks, not sure what that is about?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You're probably aware already but there is a special flush that removes the oil sludge from a cooling system. I saw some at the rad shop a few months ago.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Haven't spent a lot of time on the VT of late but today I fixed a big vacuum leak
:o
and now it runs on both LPG and Petrol.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Haven't spent a lot of time on the VT of late but today I fixed a big vacuum leak
:o
and now it runs on both LPG and Petrol.
Details please. May help somebody else with the same problem?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I had left the hose off going from the Throttle body to the intake manifold for the PCV system. I wasn't to worried about it as I wanted a lot of air going through the crankcase to clean out any remaining moisture when initially running/heat cycling and simply forgot about it before my first test drive.

What I did to get it going on both LPG and petrol? TBH I have no ******* idea other than fixing the vac leak and to even more honest, I have no idea if I've been running on LPG or petrol this whole time?

All I know is I can push the button on the dash that been fitted for the LPG system and it will start and run on both settings. It will also change over when running without stalling about 7/10 times.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
So the old girl has been hard to start the last few times I fired it up, today I swapped out the fuel pump relay, cranked it over and it fired straight up. Fingers crossed it solves that problem for good.

Spent most of the day stuffing around with the Calais. The heater core has sprung a leak and one of the thermo fans has given up the ghost (Motor winding are open circuit) and then whilst testing I managed to blow the fuse for the BCM when I had a blond moment using the Power Probe. The most annoying part though was the fact the the fuse panel diagram shown in the FSM is wrong, the panel shown is what is used in the VT models and unfortunately the diagram under the fuse panel cover has come off and gone missing. I've looped out the heater circuit for now and future me will have to deal with that problem, then filled and bled the cooling system again before going for a test drive across Auckland to chase down an Xmas gift for the boss.