Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Injecting old V8>> conversion

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Wondering if anyone knows what sort of work i would need to put in if i were to stick an injected 5ltr from say VP upwards into my VL. The VL is V8, i know thats a help but as for wiring and stuff like that....
Ideally id like to see it with something from a VS or VT with a good manual box behind it. I could use teh dash from the same car as the engine to solve the problem of the speedo (vls have gear driven speedo from teh box), a friend has modified his VK dash for a newer display and it looks good.

Apart from taht i dont know much...costs etc. i just want something injected as the old V8 will be starting to run out soon and im not planning on putting any cash into a carby fed guzzler.
thanks for any help. -jon

S

Spyder

dont bother swapping the entire engine, you can just swap over the top half of the motor into your vl (heads, throttlebody etc), use a costom computer (microtech is good and reasonably priced bout $1200). while you have the heads off give them a port and polish. Theres no need to swap the dash's as you can pick up signal conversions for not that much. dont bother with a t5, buy a supra turbo box, they will handle a lot more power. :)

vlv8vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
yeah i can get hold of a supra box. i was thinking that it might work out cheaper to pick up an entire wrecked SS of some model upwards of mine then trade the whole lot over. probably easier on my part to trade it all over as one lot (i suck with electronics and wiring). anyway just a thought (also harbouring the suspicion that i might have a bottom end problem. there is 300, 000 ks on the thing and i hear a death rattle... still goes hard though!!)

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
It is better to grab a complete wrecked V8 Commodore and basically tranfer the whole front end into your VL. The conversion is relatively easy.

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
I would suggest going the Supra box as well as they are real tough and smoother than the T5.

vlv8vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
cheers thanks people still investigating. i read a genIII conversion would be much harder so am better to go for something pre VT. is that right?

Slooth

Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH EFI V8
Pre VT would be easier. Finding a cheap and reliable GenIII may be a task as well. They have the potential for more power but suffered oil burning problems - a result of being assembled in Mexico. How much power are you looking for?

vlv8vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
just more than i have now! my 5ltr being carby fed is pretty pathetic and on the way out. i mean for the amount of fuel it uses it doesnt have enough go. i think a v6 with little work done would make a mockery of it. in not to stressed if its still a stock v8 from something newer and injected - just better!!

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Get your self a wrecked VN-VS commodore manual and transfer the lot, The later model fuel tank goes in without much dramas that will sort your fuel system. There is a place in castlemaine called castle auto electrics that sell conversion wiring looms for your application and is very straight forward to fit and they also sell off the shelf extractors for this application aswell. Will need a custom length tailshaft and the rest is pretty much a bolt in job. With the wiring loom you use standard holden computer and they fit all the relays in the standard fuse box so it all looks factory! Speedo is easy as they sell a t piece to go on the gearbox that runs the engine management and your original speedo cable and the rest of the gauges just wire straight into the wiring loom as per factory. Any other questions just email me!