Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] Install a catch can on a ecotec V6

VNenvy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive 5spd
PCV valve

could you drill and tap into the pcv port just under the plenum ant put a 90deg fitting in there and run a hose of that into a catch and then just get the hole for the pcv on the plenum welded up

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hey Mate,

Yes you could, I would recommend removing LIM to do so however so that you don't get any swarf into the engine.

A lot of work.

For a high revving motor it's probably a good idea to have multiple breather lines.

cheers

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey mate,

I have blocked the PCV valve, to soon to tell if there are any changes though. I'll post some pics later in the first post.

Last couple of weeks have been good though, the trip computer average for about the last 6 months is 11litres/100km's however the last 2 weeks the average has been a lot better then that. last week I worked it out at about 9.3 litres/100km's with a few decent motorway trip included.

Cheers

Having said all that, possibly considering upgrading to a 2002 S model with L67 :D

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I've updated the first post with pics of the PCV valve arrangement and modified PCV valve. I've also got a pic of a restrictor that is found under the PCV valve......

cheers

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Subscribing to an awesome thread.

Fenix_Longbow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VR Commodore
Does anyone have any info on doing something like this to the buick engines? Easier or harder? Is it worth it?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It is definitely worth it in my book.

It can be done. The PVC valve is a little easier to get to. There are some slight variations depending on which model 3800V6 engine you have. Also, because the 3800V6 engine is tuned using a MAP sensor you can introduce air into the engine at or before the manifold without it upsetting the tune.

To fit a catch can on the 3800 V6 engine you can simply block the PCV and fit a catch can on the line that goes from the manifold to the underside of the TB and then fit one of those mini filters on the rocker cover to vent the engine. Check my ride for pics of a catch can that i've installed on my VN V6.

Cheers

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
So.. Any developments on how it went with the PVC valve blocked?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well it's not running any worse :rofl:

But seriously, it's always has a slight miss at idle, never been able to get rid of it totally but it does seem to be gone. I guess it's wait and see over a longer period to see it it comes back.

I'll pull the plenum cover off in a few months and all going well it should still be clean in there :)

Generally speaking the car is running better now that any time since we've owned it.

I've also got a set of 20% underdriven pulleys going on it tomorrow hopefully :D