Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Install dashcam

Ryan83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 SERIES 1
Hi,

I’ve purchased a VIOFO 2ch dashcam. That includes the hardwire kit.

I need to buy a fuse tap connector.

I’m not sure which one to choose, I have a choice between standard, mini, micro and micro two.

https://www.viofo.com.au/product/add-a-circuit-fuse/

I’ll be getting my mechanic to install it as auto electricians are a rip off.

Any help appreciated.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
All of the fuses in the cabin and rear are mini fuses.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
You can tap into the Doc connector located behind the glove box.
+ 1 to that.

It's a completely plug and play affair and you'll also get both a constant and accessory power source with all the necessary protections in place. I took this route recently and the it was a clean install. It takes around 30-40 minute if you can handle removal of a few interior trim pieces.

Ryan83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 SERIES 1
Both my mechanic and a few sparkies have said it’s 2hrs labour and it will cost $200.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Both my mechanic and a few sparkies have said it’s 2hrs labour and it will cost $200.
I've just watched a couple of YouTube videos which looked quite helpful.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I've done both of my cars, front and back cameras - the first one took me 2 hours, since I was taking my time. $100 per hour these days is cheap. Consumables are a couple of female spade connectors and lots of cable ties with foam padding. I hate rattles.
I reckon a sedan will be faster than my wagons, since the cable run through the tailgate rubber bellows took a while to work out and the tailgate plastic trim has to be removed without breaking the brittle clips. Grrrr.
The second one took less than an hour ;)

For power supply there are options, rather than straight into one of the fuseboxes. I used the DOC behind the glovebox and if you lay in the passenger footwell, after the glovebox and trim is removed, it's an easy wire up with spade connectors. Although this connector unclips for a better access.
There are several threads on the install on this site. I used the post below for a nice picture - but check the yellow/red corresponds to accessory/constant on - I think it may vary between brands.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vf-commodore-doc-connector.227006/page-7 also look at post #123.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Just noticed that you are installing a 2 channel camera kit. So the estimate of approx. 2 hours sounds reasonable. I wired just a front camera in my first go, within 40 mins. The videos on YouTube and DIY guides on this forum helped prepare for the task much better.

I try to avoid having a third person working on my car's interiors. They are usually careless and are focussed solely on completing the job and moving on to the next one. Almost all current car interiors are plastic-fantastic, rattle prone items. That one careless mechanic/ sparky can force you to live with the constant creaks/ rattles forever. So, I take the DIY route on such tasks.

You can get a male connector for the DOC connector off AliExpress for a few bucks and make it a true plug-n-play scenario - instead of spade connectors, wire cutting, splicing, electrical tape etc.

Last edited:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Just noticed that you are installing a 2 channel camera kit. So the estimate of approx. 2 hours sounds reasonable. I wired just a front came in my first go within 40 mins. The videos on YouTube and DIY guides on this forum helped prepare for the task much better.

I try to avoid having a third person working on my car's interiors. They are usually careless and are focussed solely on completing the job and moving on to the next one. Almost all current car interiors are plastic-fantastic, rattle prone items. That one careless mechanic/ sparky can force you to live with the constant creaks/ rattles forever. So, I take the DIY route on such tasks.

You can get a male connector for the DOC connector off AliExpress for a few bucks and make it a true plug-n-play scenario - instead of spade connectors, wire cutting, splicing, electrical tape etc.
Totally agree with you on that - it takes some time/care to get trim clips off without breakages and the inevitable rattles.
The link is here (by yourself - thanks) but it won't let me go to it directly, coz windows,
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vf-commodore-doc-connector.227006/page-16