Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Installed LED lights, now throwing codes

darrenj9413

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Series 2 Caprice.
Could possibly that according to the members ride that he/she has a WN II which has HID headlights from the factory.... a far better setup then the halogens in the VF.
Or that one hasn't experienced a car with better lights and visibility. I daily an R36 B6 Passat and often times find it so much better to drive with cornering lights, dipped and oversized mirrors. Comparing the VF to the crappy projects in the VE, yeah its a quite an upgrade, but there is also so much room for improvement.
Right on both counts actually. My car is a WN2 and I don't drive at night much, is dark in the morning for my short drive to work. I think the lights are very good, I don't usually drive any other car in the dark to compare it to though. When I bought the Caprice second hand I actually had the dealer remove the aftermarket light box off the car because I like it to look stock and it was interfering with the auto park assist. I guess my main point is performing modifications can open a can of worms with the electronic complexity of modern cars including our Holdens.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
think the lights are very good, I don't usually drive any other car in the dark to compare it to though.

lucky you have HIDs.

when i first got my car and was driving at night with the wife, she had to ask if i had my headlights on.
she drives a 16 STI which have OEM LEDs.

when i changed the VF over to the AEI HIDS, she was actually impressed. she prefered the ECE cutoff vs DOT style that the subaru use.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
lucky you have HIDs.

when i first got my car and was driving at night with the wife, she had to ask if i had my headlights on.
she drives a 16 STI which have OEM LEDs.

when i changed the VF over to the AEI HIDS, she was actually impressed. she prefered the ECE cutoff vs DOT style that the subaru use.
I prefer the ECE to the DOT sytle cut-off - a bigger portion of the left side of the road gets illuminated. The flip side though is that you could bother someone with the glare by driving in their blindspot (or near it) on a multi-lane road. I am not sure if this is the case only for HIDs in our halogen projectors.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It mystifies me why the VF GTS has seat warmers but no multi driver seat memory. Wouldn't seat position memory be a better GTS upgrade than seat warmers? The Chev SS got most of the convenience options the VF missed out on.
Here here. A major feature I loved about our ‘07 VE Calais V. It’s not hard to incorporate. My wife presses her key and it sets the car up for her. Radio, mirrors, seat positions, HVAC settings. I open the car with mine and it does the same for me.

Our Santa Fe did have multiple user settings but it had to be done manually. Annoying considering there is almost no cost implementing this feature. Our VE was doing exactly that 17 years ago. These manufactures want to pack bullshit “saftey” features in but won’t have separate user keys.

Loved the Santa Fe heated steering wheel and heated seats. Cooled seats too. That was nice.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had HID in both the crewman and VE Calais. Loved them. The ones that had the drivers in the dust cover. Remove the factory dust cover and screw the HID driver in as the dust cover. All plug and play. Country driving at night was stress free. As for glare, it was no different as any other car. A few times I drove in front of the other car (wife driving). Never bothered me at all.

High beam was a bit annoying in the Crewman. SS lights use the same dust covers as up spec VE. I had used VE HID kits in them. I hadn’t yet done the high beam wiring mod, so when high beam went on, the road would go dim for a few seconds while the highbeam bulbs warmed up. Once the low beams stayed on it wasn’t such a big deal.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I will be using Phillips LED’s this winter.

IMG_5867.jpeg
IMG_5870.jpeg

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The VZ.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The H11 and H9 have the same specs and sizing according to their documents.

It’s a Phillips bulb and tech. The fan is in the bulb too. Fairly new to the market. Designed to be a direct replacement.

I posted because it may well be another option to try.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The H11 and H9 have the same specs and sizing according to their documents.
yep, i have found that with some aftermarket bulbs, they list and sell the same product for h11 and h9.

i think the difference between the 2 is a notch position in the plug that the aftermarket vendors leave out making them interchangeable.