Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is anyone using mobile for Navigation?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
As above.
5Dd250G.png

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Apple CarPlay using iPhone or google maps is all I do. Free, and fully integrated. Constant updates in background make life easy too.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Free Google Maps App on my Samsung phone using Bluetooth to access the cars speakers

My head unit needs a cable from the phone to the head unit to show the maps on the head unit, but, I don't bother with it as I don't get the up to date alerts I get by just using my phone and Google Maps

Maybe in the head unit setting? Meh, not interested enough as Google Maps on my phone works a treat and my magnetic phone holder sits it a perfect spot between the steering wheel and head unit, the top of the phone sits level with the top of the dash

Which is perfect if there is alternate routes suggested becuase of traffic or road closures, my hand only need to move about 4" to choose an alternate route

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Google Maps is OK but it's not accurate enough for us. A few times it told me to turn up a road that wasn't there. The road had been blocked off many years ago, yet Google had failed to update their maps. In Hobart the wife and I have been put in wrong lanes and told to turn up the wrong way on way way streets. It seem to work better on the mainland than it does here. Plus in Tas a lot of old dirt roads are not on Google maps yet these are the main ways locals travel to get to rural towns.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't get me wrong though I still use it on my phone and have the voice prompts come through my HU. As its ok most of the time. It's just disappointing that over here Google don't worry about ensuring what they have on their maps is up to date and correct..
I have a GPS and all the old roads are on it and its never taken me on a wrong road or told me to turn where you can't. But it's old now and needs replacing as the mount no longer sticks to the window and the battery won't hold charge, so it rarely gets used now, unless it's a trip to Hobart.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I use here maps, best I've found, and you can download the maps for offline navigation

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Does that use your phone data?
Yes, from a quick search the usage rate is approx 1mb per 10 minutes of navigation.

Most mobile plans come with an abundance of data these days anyway. I get 80gb for $50/month with unlimited calls/text etc so usage is not an issue.

For off-road I use Newtracs (fully downloadable), but it doesn’t have turn by turn directions.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Yes, from a quick search the usage rate is approx 1mb per 10 minutes of navigation.

Most mobile plans come with an abundance of data these days anyway. I get 80gb for $50/month with unlimited calls/text etc so usage is not an issue.

For off-road I use Newtracs (fully downloadable), but it doesn’t have turn by turn directions.
Mate $50/month that's not a bad plan.