Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

is pcv supposed to be air tight?

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I have 2 replacement pcv valves for an ls1. part number pcv-001.
1 is brand new , the other was on the car. both are leaking air if i blow through them like a controlled leak.
the old genuine one i have is airtight sometimes. Is pcv-001 the correct part for an ls1? is it supposed to have a controlled air leak or something? i have vacuum issues.
i also have pvc-036 which was specified for the l67. It is airtight.

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
I can confirm that running the old genuine pcv has sorted my vacuum issue out.
But very confused. Pcv001 is the part number specified for ls1 and 5.0.
i have read that gm had an alternative version that was a different design that actually does have a controlled air leak for low vacuum cam applications. I believe it is discontinued though. Hoping someone has some insight?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The PCV is a controlled air leak. The PCV system is there to flush the crank case with clean air and evacuate combustion gases that make it there.

The PCV is also basically a one way valve so it will allow air flow in one direction but block it in the other. I believe it also does this in the case of a backfire, the last thing you want is the backfire going into the crank case via the PCV valve.

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
The PCV is a controlled air leak. The PCV system is there to flush the crank case with clean air and evacuate combustion gases that make it there.

The PCV is also basically a one way valve so it will allow air flow in one direction but block it in the other. I believe it also does this in the case of a backfire, the last thing you want is the backfire going into the crank case via the PCV valve.
i was also under the impression that it was supposed to be a 1 way valve. pvc-001 which is the aftermarket replacement for the ls1 doesn't seal at all. it restricts airflow but doesn't seal completely. I thought maybe i had a faulty valve but they're all like that.
If someone can confirm that its supposed to be a complete seal, ill run the pcv-036 which is identical but actually makes a seal.