Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is there a way to self check fault codes?

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
My missus was driving today an the check engine light came on. I'm fcking shitting myself that it's a timing chain cos I know how bloody expensive they can be.

Anyway, short of taking to a mechanic is there a way to check why the light has come on?

Extra info: Feb 07 build and 111xxx kays. No previous issues/rattles that I'm aware of.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
I'm not aware of any way to check on the VE's, sorry mate.

Don't worry too much though, I recently had a check engine light in my Jan 07 build Omega with 100,000km. Turns out, it was the battery was on it's last legs and sensors were recording voltage drops. So don't jump the gun yet mate, timing chain is very much a worst case scenario.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
My battery is 3 years old. Wonder if that could be the issue?

Hey Troy, it could be, especially now it is getting cold in Canberra, not great for car batteries.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
It could be mate, we were sure on mine. A battery test showed it as fine, but we didn't take the chance as we couldn't think of anything else, and just changed it there and then rather than at the side of the road in 6 months. I would expect 3-5 years from a battery in a VE.

My mechanic went through the faults with me and said it all points to a voltage drop, from the MAF sensor to the radio system. Really you'll just have to see what faults come up. Fingers crossed it's something like that though. From what I've heard, and experienced, the VE's will spit up warning lights at the slightest touch -very rarely do they indicate major faults.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Just started it up to bring it in the garage and it quickly flashed up a stability control error or something. I'm guessing of it is the battery it's just drawing power away from non essential services to start and it's causing a fault (much like the VZ throws an ABS fault with a battery that's going dead)?

BADNWS

Reaction score
Members Ride
SRT
Hey Troy, ive had the battery replaced in my cPrice not long ago, n it too was also popping up the stability control every now n then, turns out the battery was a factory battery 4 years old.. So might just be the battery on the way out

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Hmm, mine was doing check engine and random abs faults. Mine too has a random ESP issue that I believe is unrelated now, but I doubt the battery was helping.

I'm sure it will be ok for a few days.