Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

just chucked quad mufflers on sidi sv6 and....

SV6SidiUTE

Vroom?
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6 Sidi Ute
just chucked quad mufflers on sidi sv6 and....added video/audio

hmm... firstly.... the product in question is from Original parts group. mufflers off e-bay...

i chucked these on today at first impression from outside sounds decent, when idling barely noticable just slight rumble, then i sat inside in and thought ok not bad sounded a little bit gutsier when i started rolling, and then took her for a drive.... man..... around 2000-3000 rpm the drone hit.. it's there slightly before the gear change, but enough to make the cabin shake a bit...not only that but my auto seemed to start playing up as if the gears were getting stretched out, i decided to step on it and it seemded like the car was struggling in the low gears..... not performing as it was prior to me fitting the mufflers..... is it just me tripping out or is this possible? the quads are 3 inch...it's day one and i'm thinkng about putting these back on ebay and keeping the stocks...maybe it's just me because it has been a loooong time since i put an exhaust on a car....

Last edited:

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
I have put quads on my SIDI and love them. No drone at all. Just got back from doing 1000k in two days. All highway.

Changing the rear mufflers wouldnt have any effect on the gears or power.

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
yeh well the drone is part of how the 3.6 is. there are ways to combat this got for a cat back system with a large front muffler combined with a large rear muffler. I just had mine done and as well as getting a large rear muffler purchasing a large font muffler helps a fair bit.

But by the sounds of it, it seems if your rear mufler is too small for the job

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
what brand are these?? If it's cheap then ya get what ya pay for, redback would have been ya best bet. Im running pacemakers and they are fairly good, going back to di fillipo eventually thou

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
3inch is far too big for the alloytec mate. V6 = auto + 3 rear mufflers will = fail every time. ideally you want 2.25inch at the most 2.5 inch.

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
dont know exactly guys but i have 2.25 with three inch varex rears and closed i haev no drone at all, less then what i had with the hsv mufflers on and i have a bit of drone when its fully open but i cant complain.

Id suggest the varex to any one wanting to shut things up for certain time periods

Cheers

SV6SidiUTE

Vroom?
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6 Sidi Ute
thanks for the replies boys,

yeah 3 inch tips, don't think the mufflers are branded. Got them from here

EXHAUST VE SS SSV SV6 DIFF BACK UTE - eBay Mufflers, Exhausts, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 27-Mar-10 19:23:08 AEDST)

I thought 500 was a decent price to pay for mufflers, they claim no drone, etc. etc.
From reading on this forum i gatherd the stock exhaust was fine so i didn't bother with replacing it, and in the meantime i stumbled on these mufflers, so thought why not. Didn't think 3" tips would have been an issue......

SV6SidiUTE

Vroom?
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6 Sidi Ute
what brand are these?? If it's cheap then ya get what ya pay for, redback would have been ya best bet. Im running pacemakers and they are fairly good, going back to di fillipo eventually thou

so you think di filipos are the best choice from those three?

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
I just put a set of SS rear mufflers on my SIDI. It sounds great, no drone and bolts up easily. Best bit is they cost $50