Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kings, Pedders or Eibach

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I wouldn't put coil overs in if you are chasing comfort and never going to track the car.
That's the reason HSV contracted V8 Supercar engineer Oscar Fiorenotto (Supashock) to do the W1 GTSR coil overs. Most coil over design is about fitting the car mechanically with generic shock valving and they throw a spring at it. Unless that combo is mapped on a shock dyno and adjusted to suit a narrow range of spring rates with suspension pick up points calculated from chassis dynamics software, it typically won't work optimally in handling or comfort.

Brand relates to quality and the likes of Bilstein, Ohlins, K&W etc have some good coil over kits for European cars they've spent months on developing but unless those (good) brands are developed for a vehicle application specifically, they're as good as useless in most cases. A set of Supashock height adjustable coil overs designed for a VF V8 is about 8k and realistically, anything less will likely be a mismatched compromise.

Height adjustability on a road car is a good thing with coil overs and makes it easy but you can achieve that without it with the right springs. Stock shocks are no good when lowering a VE/VF, they're simply too long and don't have enough bump clearance and they're short on dampening with a stiffer spring rate. This is where the "King springs are crap" comes from using them with stock shocks and they're terrible, but try them with the shortened Monroe GT's or any other spring, Pedder's, Lovell's whatever, and they're a different car!

The other handling issue related to SSV Redline Commodore's is the silly sway bars Holden fitted are way too stiff particularly when spring rates are increased with aftermarket springs. Sway bars lift the inside tyre off the road surface and they ran stiff sway bars to limit body roll with soft springs. Roll resistance is always better achieved with springs as they push the tyre into the road surface on all 4 corners. With Kings and Monroe GT's Maloo sway bars work way better than Redline bars on a ute for a good balance I recently discovered.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Following. I have SSLs on my Redline and I’m keen to go a bit higher.

I second the person who was talking about rattles. My car has done 25,000km and I baby this thing but the bloody thing has the most annoying little rattle.