Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Led low beam conversion

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
halogen, hid, led it does not really matter because it all really comes down to the lumen/light output of the bulb.

some people might think hid are better because of the name "high intensity" makes it sound great but the end result is still light output and the reflector spreading that light.
basically a lot of aftermarket kits go bad because of the position of the light on the bulb and the reflector being tuned and when you install the aftermarket kit the position of the light is not the same and that throws the reflected light out wrong.

projector type headlights do work a lot better for the aftermarket kits.

the main drawback with hid is the startup time with some kits being very slow and that can be frustrating with high beam.

in my experience with the nighteye leds vs hid in the vf is the leds crap all over the hid.
this is a pic of the high beam leds in my vf.
20190622-194416.jpg

My comment was specifically about low beams - which I guess was OPs question. In my experience, the light colour, intensity & beam pattern of HIDs have been consistently better than LEDs and Halogens. This is with projectors. The clowns running LEDs and HIDs in normal (halogen) reflector housings should be shot.

On the high beam - its a no-brainer. Its either halogens (for ADR compliance) or LEDs.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
In my experience, the light colour, intensity & beam pattern of HIDs have been consistently better than LEDs and Halogens.

The type of bulb that emits the light does not matter.
The light color or "temperature" is not hid or led specific.
The pattern is changed by where the point of light is on the bulb and where the reflector is.

The lowbeam nighteyes i had in my vf sh!t all over the hids i had in it previously.

The main problem with leds is finding a set that are designed well because there are many different types getting around.

I would not buy a set that are not cob leds and so far the nighteyes are the best i have come across for traditional headlights and projector headlights, high or low beam.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
HIDs perform better than LEDs for distance without a doubt. The start up time is frustrating.
I have cars with HIDs and LEDs and the HIDs are far superior. The start up time kills me though. Esp for high beam.
I have a picture on here somewhere of my HIDs on high beam.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
The type of bulb that emits the light does not matter.
The light color or "temperature" is not hid or led specific.
The pattern is changed by where the point of light is on the bulb and where the reflector is.

I agree with 1 & 3. On point 2 though - I hope you do agree that finding a 4200-4300K colour temp on an LED is not going to get you far. IMHO anything above or below that colour range should not be considered for a daily driver’s low beams.

Some other issues I have faced with LEDs:
1. Size - Most of them are too big to fit within the housing, with the dust caps on. The driver module, and canbus adaptor (if needed) make matters worse
2. Temperature - I guess LEDs run a lot hotter than HIDs and hence require active cooling. Fans add to the size and also become a point of failure
3. Adjustments - most LEDs cannot be aligned/ adjusted in any manner. Weird shadows & **** beam patterns are the result

The lowbeam nighteyes i had in my vf sh!t all over the hids i had in it previously.

Point taken @stooge. I’ve already placed an order for a set. I’ll report back once I have tested them.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
4300k in led is normal, just a quick ebay search will show they do make them.

Been there a million times. Trust me, there are no "viable" options out there in that colour range. Either they are chinese junk, or too big to fit in the VF headlamps, or simply misleading ads.

Looking forward to trying out them nighteyes. BTW, did you get separate canbus adaptors with these?

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
did you get separate canbus adaptors with these?

You do not need them in the vf, the bulbs seem to draw enough current to keep the detection circuit happy.

This is a pic of the low beam in my vf
20200815-160952.jpg

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
Hi interested to hear from others that may have converted to led low beam head light.
What brand of led bulb did you settle on or what research can you pass on.
Cheers
I have HID low beams in my R8 for the last 3 years or so. As others said, they are slow to light up so not suitable for high beam (I still have the halogens in high beam for that reason and just been lazy not to change them to led :))
I purchased them from 'Night Vision Oz' and got them installed by him as well. He does the whole kits for VF (Low Beam/High Beam, parkers, interior) in LED or HID for low beam and led for everything else. You can find him on facebook by the above name and contact him to get pricing. He is based in Melbourne if you need installation as well.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There is an enormous thread on this for VF already.

The particular globes (Night eye) LED work better than HID because the light source is far better focused in the reflector.

I think it was titled VF HID or something