Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LFX to L77 Conversion

Sparxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
So first of all, I know the first comment will be "buy a genuine v8" however this car is my dads old car and is sentimental (Vf Calais V). He always wanted to do a v8 swap with me and now im going to do it. Plus the exterior and interior is super clean and has been owned since new.
So with that out of the way the question is, what can I expect with a swap. I understand it will be a pian in the a$$ but wondering if someone can share their experiences and difficulties plus what needs to be changed. Also im going for the L77 as my Calais is a series 1 and was offered with a L77. Means I dont need an engineering cert?
I appreciate the help!

P.s I couldnt find any related threads already but I assume it would be covered somewhere.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Would be fine in NSW but yeah maybe not in other states?
New engine number needs registering at the very least.
If engineering certificate is needed it will be very simple, the engineer would only need to verify that you’ve fitted the relevant V8 bits.

So you know you’re changing engine, gearbox, brakes (at the wheels & also master/booster), driveshaft, diff. But also the various modules/computers that run the engine & gearbox, plus there are various bits that’ll need reprogramming to work with the replacement modules (and NFI what’s involved there).

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I'm in NSW and I've done a few engine conversations in from 6 to V8 in older vehicles that could be optioned from the factory with V8's and I've always needed an engineer's certificate,
So before you consider anything you need to talk to the roads authority to see if it's allowed, then an engineer to take you through the process and requirements as they will eventually need to sign off on it.
Brakes, suspension, transmission upgrades will be required to deal with the additional power.
And it's not like the old days where you just had to use a big hammer make it fit, these new engines will need almost everything connected to it from the donor car to be transferred across, including wiring harnesses and computer thingy bits.
You'd want to really love a modern Commodore to go to all the trouble to fit just an L77.

Edit: I just saw I've repeated most of what FORG has already said, I should have read the other posts before butting in.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Might want to enquire with your insurance company as well.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd be interested to see someone actually follow through with a V8 swap in a VF. Plenty of people have asked about doing this, this year alone. So far we are yet to see anyone who has actually succeeded. Hopefully you're the first.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
As others have said, its a big job (But understand the sentimental side of it)

There are plenty of them done, but by specific shops.

Only major I know of is GC Cars Nerang, they seem to be the most popular 6 to 8 conversion shop in Aus. Plenty of examples on their instagram

You'll be looking from at least 18-20K minimum from them with a package. But remember, it is always going to be a bodged together car, and there is likely going to be regs and insurance to worry about

Sparxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
As others have said, its a big job (But understand the sentimental side of it)

There are plenty of them done, but by specific shops.

Only major I know of is GC Cars Nerang, they seem to be the most popular 6 to 8 conversion shop in Aus. Plenty of examples on their instagram

You'll be looking from at least 18-20K minimum from them with a package. But remember, it is always going to be a bodged together car, and there is likely going to be regs and insurance to worry about
Yeah I saw the one in Nerang but im in VIC. I thought about doing a holiday while it gets done.
But I'll speak to insurance and VicRoads before i do anything.

Sparxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
I'd be interested to see someone actually follow through with a V8 swap in a VF. Plenty of people have asked about doing this, this year alone. So far we are yet to see anyone who has actually succeeded. Hopefully you're the first.
Ill definitely keep you up to date. But as everyone says it seems to be a better idea to buy rather than convert. I'll probably start the job when I have another car to drive in the mean time.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
what needs to be changed.
Buy a donor car, unless you have extensive knowledge and scan tools like the shops above, you basically have to swap everything - none of the V6 components are interchangeable, including the gearbox. Stuff all the way down to the ABS module is different (or at least coded to the specific config of the car). Finding all the little bits and pieces you need without a complete wreck or the similar will be a massive PITA.

I believe most states do "self-certified" for swaps of factory fitted engines, usually will be mentioned on the Relevant RTA site.