Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Link bar lifters vs crappy plastic lifter trays.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
So I’ve been going down the rabbit warren of LS lifters on YouTube (as well as other modifications) and recently found out that you can run link bar lifters in the LS. Wouldn’t this be a far better option than the one that normally gets thrown up of standard LS7 lifters along with the usual crappy plastic trays?

In my mind the weak point of the LS lifter design is that the lifters rely on a piece of plastic to keep them straight on with the cam. The plastic trays seem to turn the inconvenience of a collapsed lifter into a catastrophe of the lifter spinning and chewing up the cam and distributing cam glitter throughout the engine.

If this is the case then it’s not really the lifters themselves that are to blame for the catastrophe stories we hear about whole engine rebuilds or complete engine replacement “because of a failed lifter”. The more accurate assessment would seem to be that the engine replacement is required because of a crappy plastic lifter tray, is it not?

If the lifter is forced to run straight by being connected to a link bar a lifter failure doesn’t have the potential to become a catastrophic proposition and can be rectified well before complete engine failure in my assessment. The worst that should happen is you throw a pushrod (a hard mechanical failure) and you rectify the problem rather than the current scenario of “I need to replace my entire engine for $10,000+ because it was squeaking”!

Correct me if I’m wrong but that seems to be my assessment of the situation.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
soon i done cam swap i used link bar lifters and never had any issues from them just drop them in and check pushrod length and done dont have to worry about them turning

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It certainly eliminates that particular mode of failure.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
It certainly eliminates that particular mode of failure.
Well it doesn’t stop the lifters from failing but if they do fail they shouldn’t wipe out your cam and potentially the whole engine. If/when I get to the point of cracking my engine open I’ll definitely be looking at putting link bar lifters in it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Johnsons lifters are good quality, probably better than OEM Gen IV GM lifters so it's probably a step up regardless. Of course when you go to higher lift cams and heavy valve springs component life is somewhat reduced.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Good brand link bar lifters are the way to go. Not just because of the link setup but because they're super high quality by comparison and they handle valve bouncing like a boss. Little more noise but hey it's an LS. I've got a set of Morels/Comp in mine

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
So I’ve been going down the rabbit warren of LS lifters on YouTube (as well as other modifications) and recently found out that you can run link bar lifters in the LS. Wouldn’t this be a far better option than the one that normally gets thrown up of standard LS7 lifters along with the usual crappy plastic trays?

In my mind the weak point of the LS lifter design is that the lifters rely on a piece of plastic to keep them straight on with the cam. The plastic trays seem to turn the inconvenience of a collapsed lifter into a catastrophe of the lifter spinning and chewing up the cam and distributing cam glitter throughout the engine.

If this is the case then it’s not really the lifters themselves that are to blame for the catastrophe stories we hear about whole engine rebuilds or complete engine replacement “because of a failed lifter”. The more accurate assessment would seem to be that the engine replacement is required because of a crappy plastic lifter tray, is it not?

If the lifter is forced to run straight by being connected to a link bar a lifter failure doesn’t have the potential to become a catastrophic proposition and can be rectified well before complete engine failure in my assessment. The worst that should happen is you throw a pushrod (a hard mechanical failure) and you rectify the problem rather than the current scenario of “I need to replace my entire engine for $10,000+ because it was squeaking”!

Correct me if I’m wrong but that seems to be my assessment of the situation.

You realise that roller lifters actually centre them selves. The trays or tie bars are only there to keep them in line when on base circle or when the engine is off.
If this was not the case engines would be killing lifters left right and centre.

Dale at Castlehill performance has been running OE trays for years without any issues.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The lifter trays are also there to stop the lifters turning. Only takes a little bit of movement to lunch the cam. Tie bars won't budge, it's pure peace of mind for smashing out the revs

Last edited: