Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking at buying a VN SS

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
So an atlas grey VN SS has come up at a decent price that needs some mechanical attention. The seller says that it has only a couple of rust bubbles below the rear window but other than that the body is clean.

Trying to organise to check it out tomorrow night. Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for in this model that tends to go wrong (areas of rust, expensive/hard to get parts etc.)? I'm not too clued up on these things since I've only ever seen one of them up close.

Also, what do you think one would be worth in non-running condition? And how can I tell if it's a genuine SS and not a mockup?

Cheers

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Vin should tell you if it is a genuine.. Also look around the boot area, under carpet and where the water flows along the top edge (to where the lights are)

FirstVL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS.II Commodore Executive
Well, a VN SS should look like this (including fog lights):

holden_commodore_vn_ser1_03.jpg

Things to look for: check the rear main seal for oil leaks (since it's made from rope) and make sure the lock-up torque converter doesn't cause vibrations at 1500-1800 rpm. There's a longer list at http://australiancar.reviews/reviews.php#!content=recalls&make=Holden&model=Commodore&gen=1047

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
you really need to find the build sheet under the front carpet to tell. I think the vin either has a9f (auto) or a9g (manual) in it

the rear spoiler is made of rubber and and the mounts rust out on it causing it to warp
genuine fog lights are expensive to get but not hard,
stick this decals make the pin stripe kit for them and the other decals as well
paint fade is a concern if it is atlas grey (also getting atlas grey matched is a p.i.t.a)

that's some of the stuff i've learnt from my mate owning one
jump onto facebook and there is a vn ss club should be able to answer any questions you have and help with spare parts

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Cheers guys, the guy had someone else inspecting it today and messaged me to say that someone else has put a deposit on it.

If the sale falls though I'll go and have a look at it.

Brisbarnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle
How much was it advertised for? Just curious.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
It was advertised at 3500 which seemed pretty good. Looked good in the photos but hard to say without seeing it in person. Did a ppsr check on it and came back okay too.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Wouldn't it just tell you it was an Executive?

Correct and there's no build numbers for these things.

genuine fog lights are expensive to get but not hard

There's a guy on FB selling brand new ones. He put up the money to get genuine VN SS fog lights made as well as the VP ones that I'm aware of