Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking at getting into a DSLR but I'm totally clueless.

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
couple of days since the last post i know but heres another great site for you troy,Ken Rockwell's Camera and Lens Reviews . this bloke explains everything you need to know and shows you how to set up your basics to get you started. very informative.

doccortex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS Sedan
May as well throw my 2c worth in. It really depends on how good you want your shots, and how much control you want in settings ( aperture, ISO, shading, etc ). For full control over all aspects, you go a DSLR. If you want to take shots of cars standing still, good light, car shows, etc, theres no need for a DSLR.

Many excellent compacts on the market for far less than a DSLR. Having said that, DSLR's a dropping in price everyday.

I have two DSLR's, plus a Fuji compact. For just going out to a party, etc, the compact, for shots of the stars ( hooked up to my 10" scope ), a DSLR. Hell, theres plenty of mobiles around now cqapable of taking good shots in the 8 or so Megapixel range.

DSLR's really come into their best when your using an editor of some kind, the 16 megapixels I get from mine, allows me to edit the smallest details. If you go the DSLR path, just remember, it isn't a point and shoot, except for automatic settings. To gete the best out of a DSLR takes practise, and a good basic knowledge of photography.

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
Sorry for the thread dig, thought it better to add to this than start a new one.
I've never owned a decent camera, I don't really know anything about how to take a good quality pic, in saying this I am in the market for an entry level compact, not looking to spend much more than $500, I'd like to learn the ways then later on spend some big$ on a higher end camera. I really like the look and feel of the Olympus Pen E-PL3, the steel body appeals to me, has anyone used one? Or can anyone suggest an alternative? Must be entry level compact, lightweight. Cheers

Leonard Graig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dslr
As the title suggests, I'm thinking of getting a decent camera. it will mainly be used for landscape, cars, animals and some portrait stuff. Looking to spend up to 800-900 bucks. Brand/model suggestions and opinions welcome.

So, when you already have a camera in your hand, what is the next step for you to take great digital photos? I’m sure a lot of photography beginners out there wondering why they can’t take a good photos. If you want a good review for cameras, I can show you best reviews for that. I read a lot of reviews here and it is so useful http://beginnerdslrcameras.com/

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Well inputting my thoughts into the DSLR Side of things,

Im a student, and love film, dont get me wrong, its much more fun than DSLR but im to poor for the film itself so yeah :/ minor set back in that plan.

I own a EOS 550D with an 18 - 55mm lens and love it, its perfect for cars and relatively close shots. the major drawback is the zooming capabilities. you can however get the eos 550D Twin lens set for around what yours searching at ($800) and its fairly easy to use! Just make sure you have a bit of time at the start to get used to it, there are tons of settings, covers all bases and works well once you have the gist of it all!

Also I love that because i only just got into all this and having a DSLR i could easily take a few hundred pictures, put them on the computer, delete all the bad ones (thats was like, 198 of them :D ) And then just put the card back in. however with film i would have spent an arm and a leg learning alone, rather than taking pictures enjoying it.

I think if you want to go with film, but dont really know much (and provided you have the funds) get a DSLR like your thinking, learn, then once your good with that start a film setup and move into that slowly over time.

Just my opinion!

I have had a 550D and a 50D from Canon, the 50D was a far superior camera, but for a far superior camera price!

The 550D was amazing for my trip to Vegas, LA and Hawaii. I got some amazing photos of live action from the dolphin show at SeaWorld etc.

I have had and used plenty of high-end point-and-shoot cameras but none have come close to the results of a DSLR in terms of ease of use to get great shots. Maybe try e-bay for a 550D twin lens kit to "try before you buy" I got mine off Trade Me for half retail with 3 shots taken and sold it after my trip for what I paid.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Has anyone got any experience with a mirrorless camera. I friend has a fujifilm x-pro 1 that takes amazing photos.