Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS Roller Rocker install vs Trunnion Upgrade fail

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Nah. You just got some duds. The world has smashed millions of hp and nm through brass trunnions. They work great, stock LS rockers are the choice of oodles of high performance builds

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
From talking to a few engine builders the solid trunnions are good for high rpm, but, they wear and require replacement

Fine if your rebuilding your engines regularly, but not for typical street use

The oem rockers with captured bearings are what you want for longevity

Apparently.......

Like these> https://www.compcams.com/gm-ls-upgraded-oem-rocker-arms-ls1.html

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I did 65k hard km @ 14 pounds on some Brian Tooley solids and they are fine in the new car still after another 20k km. I guess it depends on what longevity means to you but valve train geometry is life

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
Nah. You just got some duds. The world has smashed millions of hp and nm through brass trunnions. They work great, stock LS rockers are the choice of oodles of high performance builds
Was all for the bronze trunnions and the reason for putting them in, read loads of good things about them. At the end of the day there are many variables to each and every install. If I had my time again would have bought the Texas Speed oem style roller rockers, that way there's no modification to the head, with roller trunnion bearing, roller tip and longevity.

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-6147-texas-speed-performance-1721-ratio-ls3-steel-roller-rocker-arm-set-w-roller-tip.aspxScreenshot_20210610-225116_Chrome_copy_972x1048.jpg

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
One thing I will say though is that in a application like the bushed rocker, I would like to see a thin shim washer between the bush and the circlip.

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
One thing I will say though is that in a application like the bushed rocker, I would like to see a thin shim washer between the bush and the circlip.
Esp if the shim was integrated into the bush somehow.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Was all for the bronze trunnions and the reason for putting them in, read loads of good things about them. At the end of the day there are many variables to each and every install. If I had my time again would have bought the Texas Speed oem style roller rockers, that way there's no modification to the head, with roller trunnion bearing, roller tip and longevity.

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-6147-texas-speed-performance-1721-ratio-ls3-steel-roller-rocker-arm-set-w-roller-tip.aspxView attachment 223107
those are the rockers im getting, they fit the bush themselves at TSP when ordered

jacks355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L L77
those are the rockers im getting, they fit the bush themselves at TSP when ordered
Pretty sure they have 2 types, a cupped needle roller and a bushed option. They need a shorter push rod too.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Pretty sure they have 2 types, a cupped needle roller and a bushed option. They need a shorter push rod too.
yea they have there style bearings and the CHE style, yep damn shorter pushrod !!! been waiting months for them rockers to come in as all thats left on my engine is to get rockers so i can work out pushrod length then its done