Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 PCV types

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Someone posted asking about what a hole was for on the left hand rocker cover a few days ago. There was a link to the PCV hose for an LS1 posted as well. I can not find the thread anywhere now.
All the LS1 PCV hoses seem to be in a rough T shape (of sorts).

Mine isn’t like that.

09BBFDD7-5D2C-4C4C-A090-7EEC022336EF.jpeg

5E833E8F-10BD-4C2B-8D50-7E10E2118522.jpeg

EBC5ABF1-51BA-4849-8E2E-382BD22F1B37.jpeg

The return goes back to the back of the car, or maybe it comes from the canister?
The rocker cover on the left has a plug the same as that posted in the other thread.
Is this more like the VE set up?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea pretty much same as my VE was

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Those bottom two pics are the fuel purge system and solenoid. Has nothing to do with the PCV. Top one is the PCV intake. The PCV has rear rocker breathers that meet up over the drivers side and run to the PCV valve then into the manifold. Front drivers side port supply's fresh air from the throttle body (pic 1). This is the pic from that thread. Your LH PCV port is blocked off, usually done when the line deteriorates as a cheap fix, that will clog up your baffle eventually. You don't need a PCV but a breather at the least. What are your asking dude? The LS1 didn't change from VT-VZ

Screenshot_20210620-103033_eBay.jpg

Last edited:

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Yep there were a few design changes with the PCV systems from the LS1, LS6 5.7L engines and then to the L77 6.0L engines in VT-VZ.
But the second pic you have is the EVAP purge soleniod, nothing to do with the PCV system.

...Ahh Pollushon beat me to it.

Last edited:

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea the purge from the tank just puts the vapors from the tank thru the engine under curtain closed loop conditions

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Then there is no PCV at all that I can find. The hose/plastic pipes featured (and in the last thread) just are not there. Nor is there anywhere to connect it.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
yea the purge from the tank just puts the vapors from the tank thru the engine under curtain closed loop conditions
So same as V6?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’ve found images showing the routing of the hose abovebut it has outlets on the rocker covers different to mine.

Also the throttle body doesn’t have the same ports.

I should point out that this is not a cable throttle body. It’s electronic.

I’m going to have to dip into the manual maybe.

It has a hose that loops over under the throttle body, connecting to the theottleThat’s a factory one. I’ve bought a new one to replace this one that’s all brittle.

All the hoses don’t appear to have been cut and seem untampered with, just brittle.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
That's about the only difference. Drive by wire has the fresh air intake in front of the throttle body. PCV should be identical from the rocker rear ports to the manifold. Are they both blocked off? I'd remedy that quick smart. There's a lot of moisture and oil puss that should be allowed out, whether through pollution controlled PCV or a breather to catch can. Otherwise it just all ends up in your baffle and the PCV intake. Pressure needs to escape

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’ve been slowly working on this over the last 9mths. Hasn’t run except for driving across perth once it got to WA.

I’m new to the LS but have already learned a lot.

One of the first things I did was get some new hoses about the bay. However, this PCV thing had me stumped. So I put it on the back burner. Now I’m starting on sorting the engine bay. It’s just that everything looks factory. Even the bung in the left rocker doesn’t look like something from Clark Rubber. It’s moulded with a pinched off end.

The V6’s have a similar set up.

there’s the vent out the right rocker cover to the Intake tube before the throttle. It’s moulded to shape. has the small hose on the end that fits over the vent pipe on the rocker. It looks like that’s how it goes.

There’s a vent tube from under the intake plenum that is U shaped into the throttle.

The purge line is the only other line.

Sorry for the vague description. I just can’t find much else.

I do have the manual to turn to but quizzing the forum is often going to yield the story why something is how it is. A better brains trust.