Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ls1 supercharger

Denzal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx s conmodore
Hello all I have a vx ss 5.7L v8 and I was thinking about supercharging it and was wondering what supporting mods I would need to do. Not looking for much power just somewhere to start off.

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
Good quality exhaust, Duel 3 inch would be ideal. Heavy duty clutch is a must if it’s manual. If it’s auto the 4l60e will most likely die a quick and painful death. Upgraded fuel pump. Heavy duty valve springs as a minimum.

Denzal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx s conmodore
Good quality exhaust, Duel 3 inch would be ideal. Heavy duty clutch is a must if it’s manual. If it’s auto the 4l60e will most likely die a quick and painful death. Upgraded fuel pump. Heavy duty valve springs as a minimum.
It's a manual and it has a heavy duty clutch and a 3 inch exhaust after that how much do you think I would have to spend on a good supercharger, valves and fuel pump.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
What sort of supercharger?

What you need is probably different to what you want!

What do you expect to get from it power wise?

What is the car going to be used for?

Why supercharger, why not single or twin turbo, hell, why not a built stroker?

Do you have a engineer to sign off on it, engage the engineer first to avoid disappointment, they will tell you what they require, most big shops can point you towards a engineer who will work with them and you to get it sorted

Most importantly, what sort of budget are you looking at?

Paying to engaging a engineer, all the parts required for compliance and building, then the installation and tuning, then getting it signed off all adds up

A well sized turbo build running low boost is probably the cheapest option, a PD and all that entails to get it running efficiently costs alot, and I mean "ALOT" more, a built stroker would cost more than a turbo, but less than a PD done right, but a built stroker is a painless option in relation to legalities

Then, if 4l60e you WILL need to look at getting your auto transmission built to spec, if you don't it will end up with 6 neutrals and a park, if manual you'll need a good clutch/pressure plate or you will cook the clutch

You need to build the drivetrain to match the powertrain

Even on low boost the added torque will lunch some parts of the drivetrain

There is heaps of info on this site about boosted and stroked LS1's, spend the next few months researching and working out your budget

Denzal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx s conmodore
What sort of supercharger?

What you need is probably different to what you want!

What do you expect to get from it power wise?

What is the car going to be used for?

Why supercharger, why not single or twin turbo, hell, why not a built stroker?

Do you have a engineer to sign off on it, engage the engineer first to avoid disappointment, they will tell you what they require, most big shops can point you towards a engineer who will work with them and you to get it sorted

Most importantly, what sort of budget are you looking at?

Paying to engaging a engineer, all the parts required for compliance and building, then the installation and tuning, then getting it signed off all adds up

A well sized turbo build running low boost is probably the cheapest option, a PD and all that entails to get it running efficiently costs alot, and I mean "ALOT" more, a built stroker would cost more than a turbo, but less than a PD done right, but a built stroker is a painless option in relation to legalities

Then, if 4l60e you WILL need to look at getting your auto transmission built to spec, if you don't it will end up with 6 neutrals and a park, if manual you'll need a good clutch/pressure plate or you will cook the clutch

You need to build the drivetrain to match the powertrain

Even on low boost the added torque will lunch some parts of the drivetrain

There is heaps of info on this site about boosted and stroked LS1's, spend the next few months researching and working out your budget
Cheers

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
It's a manual and it has a heavy duty clutch and a 3 inch exhaust after that how much do you think I would have to spend on a good supercharger, valves and fuel pump.
Harrop htv2300 with install labour, all the other little bits & pieces with a tune is 16 to 17 grand.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Add interchiller so your IAT isn't at 50°c cruising around, or pulling timing down the strip because your IAT hits 60°c after the burn out then 70-80°c at 1000 ft, another $2,800 ish

Add in recommended thermal spacers $500 ish

Then the mods so it fits under the bonnet $1,000 ish

Then mods to the firewall so the allen bolts on the rear pulley doesn't rub (persuader and paint)

So around $20k all in for 500hpatw on a 85mm pulley (7 psi), or around 600hp at the crank (any more than 600 hp crank on a LS1 with stock rods and pistons is risky)

A single turbo would be half that for typical power

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Depending on how many k's on the car, you might also want to think about new lifters and valve springs.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
I have had a bit of a look for mine (VX SS) out of curiosity and can confirm the price will be starting around $15,000 and ending up at about $20,000 when all done.

As said a Turbo would be more cost effective and power. Depending on what you really like/prefer and what budget you got to go with it.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I'm sure the shop doing the build knows the answer to all this