Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Massive Oil Discovery in Australia Is Deathblow For Saudis

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Its shale oil. Requires heaps of water to be pumped into the ground to extract it.
Problem is (one of many) .....Australia's Great Artesian Basin is under there too.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
Australia has a lot of oil that has been capped and left to sit due to government policies etc, here in sa we have many off the coast around pt stanvac area, they are being kept for a rainy day-lol

psycho_smurf

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Crewman V6
I already drive a little car(1L 3cyl) and only use it for necessary trips... and I still think fuel is too expensive. What advice will you give me now to say my POV is invalid :p

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I already drive a little car(1L 3cyl) and only use it for necessary trips... and I still think fuel is too expensive. What advice will you give me now to say my POV is invalid :p

I don't care how much fuel I use, your POV is less invalid than mine!

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS

Walk/get a scooter/catch the bus and leave that fuel for those of us on a mission to BURN IT ALL!! :p

dcBear

Reaction score
Website
flavors.me
Members Ride
2010 VE Calais
Here in Gladstone a shale oil trial Refinery was built and abandoned due to costs and environmental concerns. It was simply uneconomical for this type of industry in Australia due to our high income levels, bureaucracy and operational costs.

Most commodities are sold at set international rates. I work in the aluminium industry and it's prices are set at the London Metal Exchange (LME). So Mr Woo in China is selling his aluminium at the same price we are, but pays his guys peanuts and has next to no bureaucracy and red tape. So makes a good healthy profit and also willing to take a bit of a discount in price to secure a sale. Many of our customers are finding it cheaper to buy from China even with the additional transport costs.

So while we may have the raw resources. It may actually be more economical to export for refining.