Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My dud VP

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
Before I explain my current problem I need to rant about the previous ones with this damned car.

After a disastorous move from Geelong, Vic to Coffs Harbour, NSW I found myself back in Victoria with no car and the need to get back to Coffs. I found myself a nice looking 93 VP Berlina for $1000 at a car yard.

Was registered but no RWC, needed a side mirror replaced, new muffler, 2x new tyres for the rear and some suspension bushes replaced. No biggy I thought to myself and 2 days later I was off on my way back to Coffs.

About 10 kms out of Melbourne was when things started to go south. The cabin started to fill with smoke - oil leak onto exhaust was causing the smoke and a rubber bung in the firewall had popped out letting it into the cabin. Couldn't work out where oil was coming from but bung back in and on my way again.

40km out of Seymour, the A/C dies and the temp sky rockets - it had chewed up the belt. Joined the RACV (for one day :mad:) and got a new belt delivered and headed back to Seymour. By the time I got back the new belt was already frayed - Idler puller was too narrow and the outer rib on the belt was stripping away. Another belt and a new idler pulley and I was off again.

Got about 30km from Albury when a cloud of black smoke erupted out the back of the car. The oil leak turned into a massive oil leak and I went through 4 x 5L oil containers just to get back to Coffs. The car also developed a crap idle, and a nasty rattle from the engine.

Discovered a dodgy silicon job on the back of the intake manifold which turned out to be a cause of the oil leak, replaced gaskets but over tightened and killed the new one :mad:.

Oil leak was still terrible though which I discovered was from a groove worn in the shaft of the harmonic balancer after I'd convinced myself it was the sump gasket and started pulling the engine apart. Speedy Sleeve on the balancer and a new front seal and good as new. Also replaced the timing chain, gears and tensioner with a crow timing chain kit and tensioner from holden hoping that the old loose chain was the cause of the rattle. It wasn't. :(

While putting the timing cover back on I managed to snap off one of the bolts that goes through the water pump, so had to drill it out of the block.

Fixed that, started the car and noticed a small plume of smoke from the oil pressure sensor. Oil then erupted out of the plug in the back of the oil pressure sensor followed by a lot of smoke. Turned car off and found out that the oil pressure sensor still receives power even when the car is turned off as it kept sparking. So quickly disconnected the battery before I burnt the car to the ground.

Replaced the oil pressure sensor and went for a drive. 20km down the road and the car suddenly starts running like total crap and wouldn't idle - MAP sensor died and needed to be replaced.

Finally no oil leak but still crap Idle and nasty rattle. Before I could try to fix the idle the car started leaking water out of the heater unit into the driver footwell. Had to pull dash out to check the evaporator which turned out to be fine was just a blocked drain pipe :realangry. Had to hurry to put dash back together and now I have a vacuum leak and some weird electrical issue. Occaisionally when I go to start the car It'll go to crank and just click once and all electrics go dead. Have to disconnect and reconnect the battery and try again multiple times until it decides to be nice again.

Found out yesterday too that it isn't really a Berlina. Checked the VIN and its an Executive. So it would seem someone has taken the panels and interior from a Berlina and placed it into this body as it has Berlina badges and what not all over it.

In my attempts to resolve the crap idle (100-400rpm idle, sometimes so low the oil pressure light flickers) I have replaced the o2 sensors twice, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned the IAC, new plugs and leads, new fuel air and oil filters and injector cleaner.

My next move is to replace the Coolant Sensor (to ECU) and the ECU itself. If that fails im pretty much at a loss as to what to do next. And as for the rattle I really have no idea what it is, but I know it drives me nuts and is bloody embarrasing.

I should probably get rid of the car but I've become attached to it and its a BT1 so thats kinda cool.

Any ideas as to the cause of the crap idle and the rattle would be greatly appreciated. Would also like to say thanks to the VN/VP wizards on this forum as without your advice and info on here I wouldn't have known how to fix anything.

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
Also forgot to mention that the car runs rich and blows plenty of soot and black smoke out the back and shows code 14, although I imagine that would be because of the o2 sensor getting fouled from all the crap in the exhaust gases.

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
sounds the dud forsure man esecially from a car yard

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
was a trade in that they wanted to get rid of, I now know why. But at least the engine still has good compression.

edit: almost forgot, it also did a front wheel bearing, the wipers dont work on #2 (assuming motor as I've changed the dash switch), the handbrake retainer spring on the left wheel went missing which caused all sorts of headaches trying to work out why the wheel would lock up, the rear door locks occaisionally decide not to lock/unlock (central locking) and the driver window falls forward in its tracks so I need to hold it back when it goes up (electric)

Last edited:

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
Ask you self a serious question.. is it worth scrapping the car for parts.. or are you keen to fix it up ? :)

Your car needs a lot of TLC and $$$ by the sounds.. :(

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Driver's window is an easy fix. Remove your door trim, one of those scissor mechanism bolts will be in an adjustment slot. Adjust until it works. My old VR 5L did this.

Also the wipers, sounds like a burned out PCB may be to blame. Did you change the entire switchblock? Unlikely to be motor I think as the other speeds still work. If it fails, I'd say it fails on all speeds.

Dum*P*ster

Moist
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SIDI
Driver's window is an easy fix. Remove your door trim, one of those scissor mechanism bolts will be in an adjustment slot. Adjust until it works. My old VR 5L did this.

Listen to this dude.. He speak the words of a wise man

D3V14NT

Likes Shiny Things
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP BT1 V6
Thanks savage1987 I'll try adjusting the window mechanism tomorrow when I put the carpet back in (had to dry out from the leaking air con water).

Spent the day taking the dash off the car again, got the vacuum leak sorted and fingers crossed the electrical issue is too. Air Con isn't coming out cold though, I know the compressor is engaging and it was coming out cold before I took the dash apart the first time. Also, water is flowing through the heater core when the controls are set to cold. The white lever on the heater unit is making proper contact with the little vacuum button when the heater controls are set to cold so I'd assume that that isn't the culprit. Possibly the heater tap? Not sure here so some advice would be much appreciated.

Also replaced the cog in the odometer today too, will be nice to have that working again. Now I've just got to get the speedo working properly, it's only working intermittanly at the moment. Tried swapping the cluster with a known good one and still no good so I'm assuming a wiring issue or the speed sensor itself.

When I changed the wiper switch i swapped the whole switchblock but I don't know if the unit I swapped with was any good. I'll have to try and track down a known good one I guess.

I've pretty much made my mind up to fix this car and restore it to its original glory. I've spent enough on parts so far that I may as well as keep going with it now. I've got a new ECU, o2 sensor, PCV valve, and coolant temp sensor on order so I'll put all them in next weekend and see how the car runs then.

purrVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 Executive
Hey mate, your heater issue is almost definately a corroded heater tap i'd say, very common problem, they just rust our and stay open. when it comes to your drivers window, could be that, also could be that the stupid little plastic sliders on the end of the scissor regulator has snapped off, a pain in the arse problem coz you cant replace it, you have to replace the whole regulator, hopefully it just needs the runner that levels it out retentioning though. A problem with your oxy sensor will be the cause of your engine running rich, when you replace it check the error code again coz from memory 14 means open circut on the oxy sensor technically so it could be the wiring. As for the crap idle, wouldn't have a clue, same with the rattle, really need to hear it to work out what it might be

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
You have lots of patience and skill in prolonging the life of this car. Most would have let it burn!

How long did it take you drive to Coffs????