Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Needing help with my vr front struts

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Top plate should be fine, they're pretty solid and hard to bend.
When you get it apart and go to replace the missing washer, they install with the convex side against the rubber both top and bottom.

thingy_zpsd96374ea.jpg

no physical way the strut shaft will go thru the rubber, the metal is suppose to be vulcanised in there and not come out.... ahh back yarder diyers... scary what some of them end up doing.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
I have seen this once before, was a pedders suspension lowering job and they left the washer out.

Has this got a dent in the bonnet from the strut hitting it? The one i saw had a big dent as a result of the strut punching through.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I have seen this once before, was a pedders suspension lowering job and they left the washer out.

Has this got a dent in the bonnet from the strut hitting it? The one i saw had a big dent as a result of the strut punching through.

I have seen this done a few times too (and many hurt bonnets from it aswell)

As you can see in his pics if you look closely you can see that they have put the washer on the top of the strut plate there, it should go underneath between the strut top and the plate, this is what stops the shaft busting through like that.

Whoever installed this was a complete moron but it is a common mistake.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Should be 2, main problem is it's not below the bearing assembly.
I'd also be checking the drivers side to make sure the same hasn't been done.

Timmybruz55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 UTE

Yeah when I bought it there was a dent in the bonnet but I fixed that all up and resprayed the car white.

Timmybruz55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 UTE
yeah agreed its pooched..in my OP I forgot about the bump stop washer....funny thing I only rebuilt my front suspension last weekend...must be getting senile :)
prob easier to start from scratch as the top plate prob damaged as well...I thought that was electrical tape around the shaft in the pic :)...but could be a bush
yeah took it apart today. The second nut and washer were not missing, they were underneath the top plate and rubber like on the diagram. And yes the bush is ripped out of the bearing assembly. So this would mean if I was to get a new washer for under the bearing and assembly, plus a new bearing and assembly the shaft shouldn't pop up on me you would think? Or should I just get a whole new strut with new pieces?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
dont really know :) I would not just fix up one side, you should always do any suspension work in pairs...
You could get this kit about the cheapest I could find new...
Front Strut Mount Bearing Strut HD Shock Absorbers Holden Commodore 93 7 04 Pair | eBay
had a look around and no real bad feedback on the above shocks, though you get what you pay for :)
If you really short of cash you can pick up 2nd hand struts including top plates for around $100 the pair...but strip em down and check just to be safe

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'd do both strut tops and bearings and make sure the washers are in the right spot. Peace of mind.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
ive done this before - just on the one side - on a P10 Primera... I was scratching my head for ages.. then brought some BC Red adjusties.. that fixed the problem..

Timmybruz55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 UTE
Hi
dont really know :) I would not just fix up one side, you should always do any suspension work in pairs...
You could get this kit about the cheapest I could find new...
Front Strut Mount Bearing Strut HD Shock Absorbers Holden Commodore 93 7 04 Pair | eBay
had a look around and no real bad feedback on the above shocks, though you get what you pay for :)
If you really short of cash you can pick up 2nd hand struts including top plates for around $100 the pair...but strip em down and check just to be safe
Alright Thanks :)