Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

neoprene seal

waikato willy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 VK calais
so lots of searching but cant find a definitive answer , does anyone know what you machine out off a rope seal block to use a neoprene seal?
my 304 block has a good old rope that never leaked , but my crank is stuffed after running a big end and its already 30" under , I got another crank thats mint but its already modified for a neoprene rear seal , I got one of those generic gasket sets that came with a turd and a neoprene seal

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
The crank on my VH, Vp motor had the rear main spatter welded to remove the knurling. It was then ground 2 thou over. Using a neoprene seems to be a hit and miss affair. Some swear by, some swear at. The problem is as I see it unless you do it yourself you don't know if it has been done properly. In my case it hasn't. Generally a pontiac seal is cut down and used. Another option is to use a neoprene seal from a Chev 350. It sits in a different place than the Pontiac one and doesn't need cutting. The Chev rear main seal is a lot cheaper than the Pontiac one, about $50-60.

waikato willy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 VK calais
righto thanks for the info , the seal that looks like its been ground for is a 2 piece small block chev / 202 rear main
shaft dia 2.431" ID and a 2.812" od , may have to machine the lip it sits on in the cap and block , but at 50 bucks it is cheap

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
righto thanks for the info , the seal that looks like its been ground for is a 2 piece small block chev / 202 rear main
shaft dia 2.431" ID and a 2.812" od , may have to machine the lip it sits on in the cap and block , but at 50 bucks it is cheap
machine back cap and block at 2.778 for chev seal