Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New alternator not charging

SophieD..

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve calais
Hi I have a 2007 ve calais and the alternator light is flashing. Sometimes it also says service charging system and also battery saver mode. Iv put a new battery in and also new alternator but it's not charging. When I check the battery voltage in engineering mode while its idling it's only 12v and dropping everytime I start it. The battery charging also says 0. Please help

NTJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 SV6 LLT
Have you checked all battery terminals to ensure they are clean, same goes for alternator terminals.

NTJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 SV6 LLT
Do you have a multimeter?

SophieD..

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve calais
Do you have a multimeter?
Yes have checked all the terminals. This actually started a few months ago so I bought a brand new after market alternator but it didn't do anything so I put the old 1 back in and the warning lights disappeared so Iv been driving it for the last couple months and been fine. Then it started its **** again and the battery fucked out so I bought a brand new battery changed that then it was fine for a couple weeks. Now the warning lights have come back. I think the new alternator is wrong though and for a vf that's why it wont do anything. No I don't have a multimeter

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Different Models, Different Series and Variants had different Alternators,
Why, I don't know,
but I was told you have to match what the OEM is, otherwise it could play up.
You will need to get one to suit your actual Model, Series.

Grab the Part # of the old Alternator and do a bit of a search,
You will find one.
The Serial number will be on the back of the Bearing Housing, or on a sticker on the side of the alternator body, I think it starts with a "A".

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Might be worth dropping by your poor beleaguered Holden Dealer and get them to do an update (or check software version) for the charging system.
We had no end of issues similar on ours and they updated the computer snd its been good since. (*touch wood)

jempot

Reaction score
Might be worth dropping by your poor beleaguered Holden Dealer and get them to do an update (or check software version) for the charging system.
We had no end of issues similar on ours and they updated the computer snd its been good since. (*touch wood)
I’ve owned my 2008 V6 since new and had the software update done a while back because I was having the same issues and it’s been fine since… till recently. I started getting low battery warning and then My battery died and after 6yrs of good service, I didn’t question that it needed replacing. Now even with the new battery…I’m getting the same issue as the OP with the battery inconsistently charging with the same voltage of 12V to 14.4V sometimes. Problem is at between that charging range…my battery is cycling down to 40% charge and the other day I needed a jump start.
I’m hesitating to spend on a new alternator because I’ve heard too many others still have the problem after the replacement. The car has served me well at well over 300kms so I try not to spend on it especially if there’s a chance it might be pointless.
Has anyone had the recurrence of the intermittent charging even after they’ve had the software update?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I would suggest having the software looked at again. A glitch happened once, it can happen again.

jempot

Reaction score
I would suggest having the software looked at again. A glitch happened once, it can happen again.
Sounds fair. Not sure what they’d charge me for that.
With so many others having similar issues…..I was curious whether anyone else has had to get the software update done twice.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
jempot, have you had alternator tested
or replaced with quality , not cheap garbage